Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery left at zero for extended period

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on how long, etc. Many variables. A few days or week or even two I think will not likely brick the battery. Remember that Tesla leaves a decent margin at the bottom as well as at the top. But, you will have to charge it before you can go anywhere, and probably your 12 volt battery will be dead, since there's no high voltage battery to keep it up.

Obviously it's best not to do that, but that was not your question. It's unlikely that a relatively short-term spent at displayed zero is going to harm the battery to any significant amount. Some of these cars have been left in junk yards for a year or two before somebody buys them salvage and fixes them. The batteries in all of those are fine. I don't think they were at zero when they were left, but they probably were by the time the person worked on them. I know of at least one that was 2 years sitting in salvage before anybody touched it. It doesn't appear to have any problems with the battery.

You can always check with Jason hughes, wk057 tech, for his opinion. It's likely to be the best one you're going to find.

I know there are a few of the original PowerWalls floating around on YouTube. They were made new, put in the box, shipped to a warehouse somewhere, sat locked in the box and after a couple of years opened and discovered that the batteries were unable to be charged again, even pulling the pack out and using a regular lithium battery charger to try and bootstrap the pack. So I don't know that I would expect a Tesla to be in good shape after sitting in the barn for a few years. Not like you walk into the forest with a gallon of gas and a 12v battery in order to retrieve a VW Bus found abandoned.