Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery level decreased (max to 96%)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY is just over a month old with 1.2K miles on it. Today, when I pluged in at ine of the charge point level 2 charger, I see that the max level of the charge is showing at 96%. Does this mean, 4% of battery degradation happened or is it due to the cold temp/driving data? Any one has noticed this?

Attachments

• 20201104_104445.jpg
    20201104_104445.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 143
What’s more concerning to me is your charging at 31/30 amps
My Model Y will ramp up the charging amperage, the voltage also fluctuates. The charging amperage will jump around the charging amperage limit until it settles down. My Model Y does this every time I charge at home at 240V and 32A; at a public Level 2 charging station where the limit is 30A, the voltage at the public charging station is 3-phase power, I observe 195V to 200V and between 28A and 32A before settling on 30A.

Last edited:
My MY is just over a month old with 1.2K miles on it. Today, when I pluged in at ine of the charge point level 2 charger, I see that the max level of the charge is showing at 96%. Does this mean, 4% of battery degradation happened or is it due to the cold temp/driving data? Any one has noticed this?

As you noticed, it will eventually reach 100% .. charging rates vary (as you again noted) depending on the charge station, SoC, ambient and battery temperature. However, note that battery degradation results (usually) in a change in drivable range, not percentage. You will still see 100%, but the range will go down. This isnt the car lying, its just the nature of the battery tech/chemistry.

My ModelY with about 5K miles show 318 miles at 100%. Does that mean I lost 8 miles since I have it? Or there is some calibration business as well?

There are literally dozens of threads about this here .. but the TL;DR is no .. first, there is a significant natural variation in the readings, and second, the BMS system is such that the readings may vary. Think about it this way, 8 miles is about 2% .. factors like environment and your driving style will have a much bigger effect.