Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery lost 8% in 1 hour Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a lot of driving to do before work this morning, so ended up reaching work with an indicated 9% on the dash. No big deal I'll just charge at work. When I got there the chargers were full so figured I'd come back in an hour and check again. When I got back to my car, it was indicating 1%. Now it is colder today (~50F) but not really that cold, and drain like this has never happened to me before. Is this an indication that my battery is on its way out. For reference my 2016 AP1 model S 75 has 175,000mi on its original battery. Thanks

I had a lot of driving to do before work this morning, so ended up reaching work with an indicated 9% on the dash. No big deal I'll just charge at work. When I got there the chargers were full so figured I'd come back in an hour and check again. When I got back to my car, it was indicating 1%. Now it is colder today (~50F) but not really that cold, and drain like this has never happened to me before. Is this an indication that my battery is on its way out. For reference my 2016 AP1 model S 75 has 175,000mi on its original battery. Thanks
I've only had my 85D with 325k miles for a few months but I've definitely noticed new things with the temps getting into the 50's. Like I used to be able to get down to like 7% before I saw indication on the power meter that there was a little reduction in power.
When the temp gets near 50f, anything Uber 20% is highly possible I'll see reduced power/Regen and I get warning messages that if the temperature gets any colder I will see a lot less power available and immediate charging is recommended.

So, yeah I'd be pretty careful about leaving the car at like charges when it's getting cool. Still waiting to see how it acts when it actually gets cold.

We had the same. But no cold weather or temp changes. We had a blank screen during driving which restarted by itself.
It was a stressful situation because we could not reach a supercharger anymore. We were lucky that someone in the neighborhood could help us.
I've done a soft reset and charged to the max after that.
It did not happen again.

I've noticed these types of drops when battery cools are much more pronounced when you are under roughly 20% SOC. And it doesn't need to be what people would consider cold ambients. I've seen it even in modest ambients. Realize that fully warm operating battery temps are in something like the 30-35 deg C range, so even when ambient is say a balmy 20 deg C / 68 F, battery temp has still dropped a fair amount.

Reactions: brkaus
At higher battery percentages than that I have had the car warn me that the percentage could drop a lot by the time I returned and I might not have that much range. I presume that warning is based on ambient temperature and maybe lower battery percentage. These cars really do like moderate temps. One of the reasons for scheduled departure if you can get the battery all warmed up while on a charger so you don't have to use precious battery % to heat it up for best performance.

Yeah, ended up being exactly what was mentioned here. After charging for a bit then reaching my destination with 41% , I came back to the car an hour later and it indicated 47%. So exactly the opposite of before. I reached out to Tesla and they got back to me saying this is normal when there are wild weather fluctuations like we’ve been experiencing this week in Michigan. False alarm. I guess there’s no way of telling which estimate is more right, but that’s ok

A a side note I had my car on the WC last night after a short trip. Car charged for 45 minutes from 50-70% at midnight per schedule. They it charged again for 5 minutes at 2:30 AM. The temperature at midnight was 65F. The temperature at 2:30 was 50F. So I am speculating it probably only charged originally to about 68-69% and then when the temperature went down it dropped below its threshold and had to top it off again.