Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery powering controlled load hot water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may mean nothing to people in the USA.

I've seen my powerwall exporting power to cover the controlled-load hot water current draw. Since the hot water is on a separate meter, this means that the power goes out through the normal meter, counted as a solar export (at night!), and then back in through the hot-water meter, counted as controlled load.

Leaving aside that this probably represents a net cost, most people won't want their battery to discharge that way, since the hot water system could easily run it flat, leaving nothing to power the rest of the house later on during the night, or in the early morning at what is almost certainly a higher tariff.

The cause was that the current sensor was attached to the common incoming power lead, before it split off to go separately to the hot water meter and the main house meter. I got it moved to where it only sees the house current, and all is good now.

Something for people with off-peak hot water to watch out for.

Sylvia.

This may mean nothing to people in the USA.

I've seen my powerwall exporting power to cover the controlled-load hot water current draw. Since the hot water is on a separate meter, this means that the power goes out through the normal meter, counted as a solar export (at night!), and then back in through the hot-water meter, counted as controlled load.

Leaving aside that this probably represents a net cost, most people won't want their battery to discharge that way, since the hot water system could easily run it flat, leaving nothing to power the rest of the house later on during the night, or in the early morning at what is almost certainly a higher tariff.

The cause was that the current sensor was attached to the common incoming power lead, before it split off to go separately to the hot water meter and the main house meter. I got it moved to where it only sees the house current, and all is good now.

Something for people with off-peak hot water to watch out for.

Sylvia.
Hi Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I’m facing a similar predicament as you, in Sydney as well.
I have a single rate tarrif and controlled load for the hot water system. Does the above mean you’ve moved your PW2 from the CL1 altogether? Or is it something just to remind the installer if I see this usage overnight during the CL powering the hot water system?