Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery remaining estimate accuracy for navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consistently. For current 3 hour road trips it is usually off 10 - 15%.

I've started photographing the screen during my trips because apparently I'm the only person this happens to. I'm accused of driving too aggressively but I figure the screen showing 162 wh/km shows I'm not (since the screen doesn't show the lineup of cars behind me not happy I'm going the speed limit.)

Consistently. For current 3 hour road trips it is usually off 10 - 15%.

I've started photographing the screen during my trips because apparently I'm the only person this happens to. I'm accused of driving too aggressively but I figure the screen showing 162 wh/km shows I'm not (since the screen doesn't show the lineup of cars behind me not happy I'm going the speed limit.)
Mine has been accurate for 30 min - 1 hr trips I haven’t tried 3 - 4 hr trips yet though

How much are you going over the speed limit, apparently the estimator gets its estimate based on the roads speed limit not anymore or any less, so if you go even a little over the speed limit you will arrive with less than it says

Last edited:
I travel 150 to 200 miles each way on business a lot and I'd say over the 5 years I've owned my model 3 that it is very accurate. Early on there were some deviances of around 5% or so. But since they started taking wind direction and temperature into account more I'd say that 95% of drives are within 2-3% and many if not most are less than 2%.

I travel 150 to 200 miles each way on business a lot and I'd say over the 5 years I've owned my model 3 that it is very accurate. Early on there were some deviances of around 5% or so. But since they started taking wind direction and temperature into account more I'd say that 95% of drives are within 2-3% and many if not most are less than 2%.
How does it know what the wind is doing 30-50 miles up the road

Wind speeds over the area of travel would all be included in the local weather report which the vehicle has access to. Now I'm sure it depends a lot on your location. I live in the Midwest where most of the time the wind 30 or 50 miles up the road will be similar. I'm sure if you are in a mountainous area then that could be much different and results would vary. But it used not to factor that in at all and it did make a difference when it was included.

Reactions: gottagofast
Headwinds are range killers, and hardest to predict. If you have plenty of superchargers along your trip, I wouldn’t worry too much about accuracy/prediction.
Well I’m doing this 210 mile round trip, the place I’m going has a super charger but there’s not any super chargers on the 105 mile trip back home

The whole trip says I’ll arrive back home with 15%, I would like to see if I can make it without super charging

Mine has been accurate for 30 min - 1 hr trips I haven’t tried 3 - 4 hr trips yet though

How much are you going over the speed limit, apparently the estimator gets its estimate based on the roads speed limit not anymore or any less, so if you go even a little over the speed limit you will arrive with less than it says
It is an 80kph road for 2 of the 3 hours and the TACC or FSD is set to 84kph. There are numerous small towns that I slow to the speed limit while going through. For the 1 hour on the divided highway, the limit is 110kph and I'm set at 110 kph.

Headwinds are range killers, and hardest to predict. If you have plenty of superchargers along your trip, I wouldn’t worry too much about accuracy/prediction.
In my case, for the 3 hour trip there are NO Superchargers and NO L3 stations aside from a rumoured one that I haven't confirmed yet at the 1 hour point. There are four L2 spots showing on Plugshare. Only one of them states it is for any EV driver, but we know one of the others will allow us to charge without having to stay at the hotel. The other two may be for guests only, Plugshare reviews are all from guests and those reviews say they don't know if non-guests can charge. Once at my destination, I can charge on L1. There is an SC 45 minutes away, and in the past, that distance takes 17% of my charge. The drive from home to my destination takes 70% of my charge. So I leave with 95% (because my husband refuses to charge to 100 because he been scared off by the warnings) and hope that if the power is out at my destination, I still have enough to make it to the SC (and that the power will be one there.)
Taking the different route that takes me through the town with the SC adds 50 minutes to the drive. I will be doing that next week because I'm leaving taking others with me and have to drive from home to their place, then double back. There's no way the car will do it and still leave me with enough emergency charge. On the way home, we may make it because that is down hill. (NOTE my return trips are also off by 10 - 15% so it isn't the elevation gain/loss that is causing the problem.)

Weather, both winds and temperature, and the speed limits, traffic, SOC, condition of battery, elevation, are all things that tesla claims they are using to figure out the predictions. I've done the drive 8 times this year and a dozen times or more in the past and the car refuses to learn from its mistaken calculations and gets it wrong every time. As well, the newer NAV were supposed to improve range predictions. I've done the drive with 3 NAV packages this year and there doesn't appear to be any difference.

Reactions: vanjwilson
Here's a trip from earlier in June (this was under 2024.14.8)

The first was 12km after leaving home. I didn't take the pic at home because I had a stop along the way that would mess up the numbers. It predicted 34% left.

In the middle of the trip, it said 25%.

Near the end of the trip, it said 25% and I arrived with 25%. (Didn't take that photo.)

I've found the second half of the trip is almost always within 1%. I usually stop at almost the exact halfway point, time wise, and the prediction the car makes after returning to the road is dead-on or close. On the other hand, in the first hour of the drive, I can watch it drop 1, 2, 3% within 5 minutes. The first hour is on a divided highway at 110kph but that isn't a surprise, the NAV knows that. It is as if the prediction says "the speed limit for the majority of the drive is 80kph, therefore we'll calculate that as the speed limit for the whole trip. Then it panics because I'm going 110kph and starts dropping and dropping and dropping. If I didn't know it will stop dropping, I'd panic because, as I said, there are NO L3 charging options. Period. This is not a case of, "oh well, I'll have to stop at the 2 hour mark and top up." (Which is what I do when I travel between Peterborough and Ottawa and it consistently tells me I'll have lots of charge left and then started to panic itself and throws up "slow down" warnings, even though I'm going the speed limit AND there are 2 SC along that route.)
P1220182.JPG
P1220208.JPG

The trip home in June was much better.

It calculated 42% on arrival and ended up with 36%. So only off by 6%, except the car took 1/6th more energy than the NAV predicted. Despite my total trip energy use of 153 wh/km. I did really well in the last segment of the trip, because it was rush hour so I was only going 60 kph on that 100kph freeway for 23km and got 150 wh/km on that highway drive thanks to congestion! The usage on the return 3 hours trip is always lower because I have prevailing winds and elevation working in my favour.

BUT THE CAR KNOWS THOSE FACTORS SO IT SHOULD BE CLOSER THAN 6% in its prediction, especially when it can be dead on for the sections of the drive with no change in speed limits.

To get anywhere close to the prediction, I'm forced to drive at 80kph the whole trip and to do that means I'm driving only 80 kph on a 110kph highway. Not safe, therefore not happening. Which leaves me with an effed prediction.

Attachments

• copy.JPG
    copy.JPG
    353.9 KB · Views: 1
The trip home in June was much better.

It calculated 42% on arrival and ended up with 36%. So only off by 6%, except the car took 1/6th more energy than the NAV predicted. Despite my total trip energy use of 153 wh/km. I did really well in the last segment of the trip, because it was rush hour so I was only going 60 kph on that 100kph freeway for 23km and got 150 wh/km on that highway drive thanks to congestion! The usage on the return 3 hours trip is always lower because I have prevailing winds and elevation working in my favour.

BUT THE CAR KNOWS THOSE FACTORS SO IT SHOULD BE CLOSER THAN 6% in its prediction, especially when it can be dead on for the sections of the drive with no change in speed limits.

To get anywhere close to the prediction, I'm forced to drive at 80kph the whole trip and to do that means I'm driving only 80 kph on a 110kph highway. Not safe, therefore not happening. Which leaves me with an effed prediction.
Sounds like your car or more so the navigation is missing something specific on this road you take and it makes it hard to give you an accurate estimate