Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery runs out with 16% indicated range remaining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Late Sept 2018 my '14 MS P85DL put up the "battery charge level restricted" warning and would not charge. Was at ~70% at the time. SC pulled logs and said there were battery alerts, needed to bring it in. I was able to drive 110 miles to the SC. Tried to supercharge on the way, at about 50% - same result, immediately saying charging complete. Car had 79K miles on it. Battery was replaced with a 90 kwh, I believe a new one as it charged to 271 miles (100%) soon afterward. This battery charges at 110+ kw up to about 50% before taper starts, while the old 85 started to ramp down at 20%. A nice improvement on trips - well worth the inconvenience of the repair. Just got the 87,500 mile service done, clean bill of health from the SC.

Work description "Parts Replace or Added" lists battery as "90KWH,SX (1088790-00-A)"

Maybe the OP got my old 85, refurbished. It was still charging to 245 (vs original 254) miles just before this happened, so was in pretty good condition despite the 80K miles on it.

View attachment 358070

A couple days ago, while cruising along the freeway at 70mph my Model S abruptly shut off with no warning, claiming that the battery power was too low. There were no limit lines until the split second before it shut off. However, there should have been plenty of range remaining - the indicated battery charge level was 16%. It wasn't cold either - the outside temperature was 57 F.

Fortunately this happened just a few blocks from home. So, several minutes later upon completing my unscheduled cardio workout, the car was back home and plugged in so it could charge up. However, there was an error message on the dash saying "charge level will be restricted" and it wouldn't pull any more than 5 amps. Upon reaching an indicated 19% SOC it stopped altogether, claiming "charging complete".

View attachment 358073

After unplugging and plugging in a few times, and then switching to a 120V trickle charge, a few hours later I was finally able to coax it up to 20% at which point it was able to start charging normally again.

So, there were two problems: (1) running out of juice at 16% SOC, and (2) the car was reluctant to get past 19% SOC after running out.

This was actually the second time this has happened. The first time was a couple weeks ago. It has gone below 16% a handful of times before but has never run out suddenly like this, and there were always limit lines to warn me that it was getting low.

I called the service center, and they checked remotely and said the vehicle isn't reporting any issues with the battery. I'm taking it to the service center next week, so we'll see how that goes.

I've always been very careful with the battery, or so I thought - attempting to stay within the 20-80% area as much as possible, and using range mode - so I certainly didn't expect this. Has anyone else experienced running out with significant remaining range? Any idea what could have gone wrong here?
I'm having this same problem but at different charge levels. Do you have the ability to monitor your canbus? I think you have a bad brick or possibly a whole module.

What is it like "while cruising along the freeway at 70mph, ...", And that was happening just a few blocks from your home ?

Warning came up when starting the car up in the morning. Had no effect on the functioning of the car other then almost immediately putting up "Charging Complete" when trying to charge it. Tried the usual reboot of computers & force power off recovery steps with no effect. After discussions with SC about flat bedding it and waiting a day for big snow storm to end, I elected to drive it about 110 miles to SC, without incident.