Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery smoking X after body work, what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I have an interesting, and very very frustrating story to share with my X, and was looking for the community's thoughts.

I took delivery of a X end of October, and love the car to death. I won't drive any other car in my life I love Tesla so much. Although, that excitement started to fade after I discovered days after delivery many mechanical and cosmetic issues, from the basic creaking and cracking of falcon wing doors when opening and closed, misaligned doors, spoiler failing, door motors failing, windows getting caught under the trim, trim that started falling off, window seals letting air and sometimes rain if it rains hard enough, etc. Now, all that was fixed under 4-5 service appointments till November from Ranger visits and to Tesla coming up to take the car. Not a good impression after forking out $150,000. The car has been tired up with Tesla maybe about 2-3 weeks at this point. Again, totally understand issues happen with a new company and they were handled, kinda. Recently, I was going to wait until Spring to take it in for even more issues, including rattling coming from the driver side vent, very loud rattling (sounds like a marble rolling around) in the FWD which was an issue that was "fixed" twice, and now my driver side seat creaks every time I break almost like running a pen against a zipper sound. That is until...

Recently, my X was involved in an accident (minor, where a car sliding toward me, to avoid hitting me took me off a ditch into the highway). Sadly the other driver lost control, and to avoid him my only choice was to slide into a ditch, which the other driver drove away, and I couldn't catch a plate. Long story short, I'm towed out, which caused some front bumper damage which I expected to pay and be done with it. Minor cracks, no biggie although DYING on the inside of course. Although, that was just the beginning.

I drove the car home, with the car shaking and all off aligned from me smacking my side into a snowpack (although, no visible body damage besides what was caused by the towing company). As I'm backing into a spot at my parking garage where I live, as I turn the wheel all the right and my entire front passenger side wheel falls off as the car lays on the wheel. The car automatically starts raising suspension; the entire wheel came right off the rod. After everything that has happened, I wanted to break down myself at this point. Triple AAA was able to get it towed to where I arranged for the only body damage "Tesla Certified" whatever that means at this point, center in Ohio.

There was over $10,000 of damage, and that was toward the first week of December it has been with Suburban Collision, and just "finished" last week, almost 2 months of no car to boot. Being in Toledo, and Cleveland being about two hours away, I requested and reached out to Tesla if I could have them check it over to make sure all was okay, as it wouldn't be a simple drive if I find something wrong with the car back to Suburban.

Tesla was more than happy to fit me in no questions asked, and took delivery of the car from the body center, and I mentioned about my issues above if they could take a look at them. Not a problem, but that is where matters get worse.

I just recently tonight received a call from Tesla, who let me know that while they were fixing my window and going for a test drive, the car and battery started going up in smoke which caused Tesla to have to tow it back. I was informed that the body center did not put the battery back on correctly, causing many important wires to be pinched and melted all around the car. Out of everything that has started with the car, and here we end, this car will never be the same, and I am now so scared to even take the car back as I will have the feeling its being held by tape. I understand its "Tesla Certified", and maybe I am just unlucky, but the battery, the one biggest thing you can't screw up, goes wrong.

Tesla is flying in someone to look at the car, offered a loaner, and has been more than accommodating for the situation which luckily happened in their care and not while I could have been in traffic and not maybe able to simply pull over, which raises huge safety concerns with me. Tesla even said any costs needed would absolutely be taken care of Suburban.

So community, I was looking for your thoughts on my situation. I truthfully feel for a $150,000 car, this has been a giant hassle with the build from the start and now to the end, and almost want a new X at this point, and it sounds like it would be on Suburban's dime. Would any of you accept the car back after all that it has been through? What concerns me is know that this body center couldn't even do the battery right, what else is wrong with the computer on wheels? What will pop up 2 months, maybe a year from now?

Thank you for taking the time to read from a very frustrated, but still Tesla all the way, owner.

• Informative
Reactions: Mjølner
I just recently tonight received a call from Tesla, who let me know that while they were fixing my window and going for a test drive, the car and battery started going up in smoke

If this is truly the case, they shouldn't have phrased it that way. But, I'm certain they won't return the car to you with the same battery pack. You'd have a car that was fixed by a body shop and a new battery pack (or a fully refurbished version of your own, after some significant delay). Either of those are acceptable options in my opinion, though you may disagree.

I do find their phrasing of "up in smoke" very odd.

If this is truly the case, they shouldn't have phrased it that way. But, I'm certain they won't return the car to you with the same battery pack. You'd have a car that was fixed by a body shop and a new battery pack (or a fully refurbished version of your own, after some significant delay). Either of those are acceptable options in my opinion, though you may disagree.

I do find their phrasing of "up in smoke" very odd.
He also mentioned how they started smelling it, and could see it all from behind in the rear view mirror where they had to pull over and have it towed back. He also told me that is will absolutely not be going back to shop, and they will take care of it all from there which was very relieving to hear, just very concerned about the car itself.

Oh wow. What on Earth did the body shop think they were doing dropping the battery pack? That seems to be way above the qualifications of a body shop, Tesla certified or not.
Call me crazy, but when I saw the car go offline while in Suburban (yes I tracked the car, who wouldn't), I had a feeling that's what they did. I assumed that was normal process, although found that to be quite a cumbersome process, almost like a heart transfusion, but for a car!

Did the tow operator use the Tesla-supplied tow hook that came with the car?
Yes, since it was the turnpike, Tesla themselves by law could not come out, so they instructed the guy over the phone on what to do and I luckily had my bag with me that had it in.
Thinking about it more, even if they did drop the pack, I don't see how wires could have been pinched. The connectors on the pack are robust and everything is spring loaded. I'm not aware of any dangling wires that could get pinched on reinsertion. @Ingineer @wk057 can correct if I am mistaken.
This I'm not quite sure, I was only provided a basic "hi, your car smoked, pinched wires, something melted" call, wish I knew! Being a techie, this stuff interests me :)

I'm sorry about all the bad luck that you have had but I am sure that Tesla will make it right. Enjoy the loaner and let them take their time to do what needs to be done.

And hopefully Tesla will be giving the body shop some re-training. (Assuming that they get to stay certified.)

These types of cluster issues are what makes leasing a cehicle more compelling. Seems as though consultation with an attorney, experienced in these matters, might be helpful. Just one though...Does the prespective warranty of all "battery" related repairs, in this particular case, run to your original warranty date, or does the former expire before the latter?...

Thank you very much

Fury

Call me crazy, but when I saw the car go offline while in Suburban (yes I tracked the car, who wouldn't), I had a feeling that's what they did. I assumed that was normal process, although found that to be quite a cumbersome process, almost like a heart transfusion, but for a car!
It's standard procedure for all service centers and body shops to turn off access to the car. It is for safety reasons so owners don't accidently honk the horn or flash lights, etc.

Hello all,

I have an interesting, and very very frustrating story to share with my X, and was looking for the community's thoughts.

I took delivery of a X end of October, and love the car to death. I won't drive any other car in my life I love Tesla so much. Although, that excitement started to fade after I discovered days after delivery many mechanical and cosmetic issues, from the basic creaking and cracking of falcon wing doors when opening and closed, misaligned doors, spoiler failing, door motors failing, windows getting caught under the trim, trim that started falling off, window seals letting air and sometimes rain if it rains hard enough, etc. Now, all that was fixed under 4-5 service appointments till November from Ranger visits and to Tesla coming up to take the car. Not a good impression after forking out $150,000. The car has been tired up with Tesla maybe about 2-3 weeks at this point. Again, totally understand issues happen with a new company and they were handled, kinda. Recently, I was going to wait until Spring to take it in for even more issues, including rattling coming from the driver side vent, very loud rattling (sounds like a marble rolling around) in the FWD which was an issue that was "fixed" twice, and now my driver side seat creaks every time I break almost like running a pen against a zipper sound. That is until...

Recently, my X was involved in an accident (minor, where a car sliding toward me, to avoid hitting me took me off a ditch into the highway). Sadly the other driver lost control, and to avoid him my only choice was to slide into a ditch, which the other driver drove away, and I couldn't catch a plate. Long story short, I'm towed out, which caused some front bumper damage which I expected to pay and be done with it. Minor cracks, no biggie although DYING on the inside of course. Although, that was just the beginning.

I drove the car home, with the car shaking and all off aligned from me smacking my side into a snowpack (although, no visible body damage besides what was caused by the towing company). As I'm backing into a spot at my parking garage where I live, as I turn the wheel all the right and my entire front passenger side wheel falls off as the car lays on the wheel. The car automatically starts raising suspension; the entire wheel came right off the rod. After everything that has happened, I wanted to break down myself at this point. Triple AAA was able to get it towed to where I arranged for the only body damage "Tesla Certified" whatever that means at this point, center in Ohio.

There was over $10,000 of damage, and that was toward the first week of December it has been with Suburban Collision, and just "finished" last week, almost 2 months of no car to boot. Being in Toledo, and Cleveland being about two hours away, I requested and reached out to Tesla if I could have them check it over to make sure all was okay, as it wouldn't be a simple drive if I find something wrong with the car back to Suburban.

Tesla was more than happy to fit me in no questions asked, and took delivery of the car from the body center, and I mentioned about my issues above if they could take a look at them. Not a problem, but that is where matters get worse.

I just recently tonight received a call from Tesla, who let me know that while they were fixing my window and going for a test drive, the car and battery started going up in smoke which caused Tesla to have to tow it back. I was informed that the body center did not put the battery back on correctly, causing many important wires to be pinched and melted all around the car. Out of everything that has started with the car, and here we end, this car will never be the same, and I am now so scared to even take the car back as I will have the feeling its being held by tape. I understand its "Tesla Certified", and maybe I am just unlucky, but the battery, the one biggest thing you can't screw up, goes wrong.

Tesla is flying in someone to look at the car, offered a loaner, and has been more than accommodating for the situation which luckily happened in their care and not while I could have been in traffic and not maybe able to simply pull over, which raises huge safety concerns with me. Tesla even said any costs needed would absolutely be taken care of Suburban.

So community, I was looking for your thoughts on my situation. I truthfully feel for a $150,000 car, this has been a giant hassle with the build from the start and now to the end, and almost want a new X at this point, and it sounds like it would be on Suburban's dime. Would any of you accept the car back after all that it has been through? What concerns me is know that this body center couldn't even do the battery right, what else is wrong with the computer on wheels? What will pop up 2 months, maybe a year from now?

Thank you for taking the time to read from a very frustrated, but still Tesla all the way, owner.
I feel your pain. I thought my experience with the Tesla certified repair shop was bad... But it's nothing compared to yours. From my experience, Tesla seems pretty competent. As frustrating as this might be, I'd enjoy the loaner for the time being. But totally understand your concerns and I feel your pain. Your warranty shouldn't be affected. If things really don't work out -- there is always the lemon law.

Sorry man, sh t happens. my 2014 S was at service for at least 15 times in the past 2 years, and i got rear ended twice. The car was never the same anymore. unfortunately, my car suffered so much from the accidents on its resale value.

I bite the bullet and traded in for a X. I got lucky, haven't have any big issues with the X.

Sh t happens and just bite the bullet.

It's standard procedure for all service centers and body shops to turn off access to the car. It is for safety reasons so owners don't accidently honk the horn or flash lights, etc.
Well, reason I knew they didn't shut it off actually, is because if the car is on and the switch is off, the app says "Remote access is disabled". If the car had the battery pulled, and I couldn't even ping it, the Tesla app just stayed at Waking car...which is what made me suspicious.