Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What can I do after picking.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I picked up my 2022 Tesla Model X from local Tesla store and noticed lots of issues in the car.

1. Door frame was unattached properly
  2. Front under bumper were scratched pretty obvious (it looks like it was damaged from unloading from the trailer)
  3. Cup opener won’t open.
  4. Door seals (both front door) are loosen
  5. IMG_3601.jpeg
  6. Steeling wheel is peeling … and more
  7. IMG_3600.jpeg

8. I really want to like the car but it really does not make sense for me to pay more than $80k for a car needs to be repaired. It there any way I can return the car which should passed their 102 point inspections but it does not ? Please help…. 🙏🙏🙏

So sorry… the title should be what to do if I took the delivery after finding too many issues on the cae
There is no "cooling off" period on car purchases in California, so whether this is a brand new car (and you ment to type 2024) or a used car ( the 2022 you said) there isnt an option to "give it back to the dealer" unless they also agree to take it back.

You cant force them to take it back, in other words, and if it IS a used car, Tesla doesnt sell "certified used cars" they sell "used cars", so your option is to take it back to Tesla, point out the issues, and see which ones they will fix and which they wont.

Reactions: cwerdna
Upvote 0
There is no "cooling off" period on car purchases in California, so whether this is a brand new car (and you ment to type 2024) or a used car ( the 2022 you said) there isnt an option to "give it back to the dealer" unless they also agree to take it back.

You cant force them to take it back, in other words, and if it IS a used car, Tesla doesnt sell "certified used cars" they sell "used cars", so your option is to take it back to Tesla, point out the issues, and see which ones they will fix and which they wont.

Thank you very much for the information… it doesn’t seem right to the customer in California… but the rule is rule. By the way, it is a 2022 Model X

I have tried to contact Tesla several times regarding the issues I have found at the Tesla store and soon after got home. But I got nothing.

I had an initial service appointment next week but is pushed to May.

Is there anyone successfully return an “used” Tesla back to Tesla due to issues.. ?

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the information… it doesn’t seem right to the customer in California… but the rule is rule. By the way, it is a 2022 Model X

I have tried to contact Tesla several times regarding the issues I have found at the Tesla store and soon after got home. But I got nothing.

I had an initial service appointment next week but is pushed to May.

Is there anyone successfully return an “used” Tesla back to Tesla due to issues.. ?

In this term "Give back" = Lemon Law. That is the only process that you can force a car dealer to take a car back. You will need to look at Lemon Law information and specifically focus on your situation which is a USED vehicle purchase, not a new vehicle purchase. I am fairly sure that Lemon Law criteria for those two situations is different. I am not a lawyer though, nor do I work for Tesla or anything.

I can just tell you that in the United States, there is no provision for "hey I bought this used car from you but I dont like it anymore so I need you to take it back" and forcing someone to do that, without looking into some Lemon Law claim.

Upvote 0
Indeed. I'm not aware of any US states that have a mandated cooling off period on new or used cars.

I got so sick of people posting misinformation on this so I started these threads for people to post their sources over 10 years ago:

If there are US states with mandated cooling off periods, I'm all ears.

If the seller/automaker has a written currently valid return policy that applies to whatever they sold you, then one has a leg to stand on.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
In this term "Give back" = Lemon Law. That is the only process that you can force a car dealer to take a car back. You will need to look at Lemon Law information and specifically focus on your situation which is a USED vehicle purchase, not a new vehicle purchase. I am fairly sure that Lemon Law criteria for those two situations is different. I am not a lawyer though, nor do I work for Tesla or anything.
California lemon law can apply to used purchases: Frequently Asked Questions - Arbitration Certification Program. There are specific criteria like at Buying and Maintaining a Car and https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/lemonlaw_qa.pdf. And, lemon laws vary by state. Fortunately, OP is in CA.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
A lot of the issues you noted are cosmetic, unless they affect the form, function and safety of the vehicle.

It is unfortunate you are experiencing this for such a large ticket item, but this will apply to all purchases - buyer beware, and do your own due diligence. During the you should also have signed a form that you are purchasing the car “as-is”, with no other warranty implied or promised, beyond the vehicle’s existing new car warranty.

In any case, your best bet is to take photos, open a service request, and hopefully Tesla will take care of it at no cost to you.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

I can just tell you that in the United States, there is no provision for "hey I bought this used car from you but I dont like it anymore so I need you to take it back" and forcing someone to do that, without looking into some Lemon Law claim.
Thank you… I still like the car but the fact that the issues I found… and feel it should be discovered and fixed before selling to the public. Why should we spend time at service center right after picking up the car. Still trying to be okay with it but I still can not yet… 🤦‍♂️

Upvote 0
A lot of the issues you noted are cosmetic, unless they affect the form, function and safety of the vehicle.

It is unfortunate you are experiencing this for such a large ticket item, but this will apply to all purchases - buyer beware, and do your own due diligence. During the you should also have signed a form that you are purchasing the car “as-is”, with no other warranty implied or promised, beyond the vehicle’s existing new car warranty.

In any case, your best bet is to take photos, open a service request, and hopefully Tesla will take care of it at no cost to you.

Good luck!
Thanks… Tesla agent did initially on his tablet. I was told I need to make the first service appointment again. Then they asked me to take photos and I did again.
Then my appointment is pushed to May after picking up my car. 🤦‍♂️

Upvote 0
Peeling yoke should be covered under warranty.

Everything else are pretty tiny fixes which Tesla will normally covered as part of your 1 year 'user car' warranty, if not the actual normal vehicle warranty.

It's a bummer, but it's a used car and everything should be taken care of at the next service visit so I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Reactions: thyname
Upvote 0