Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Temp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would be the normal operating temp of the HV battery pack ?
There is no “normal temp” but rather an optimum range. And that is dependent on model of vehicle, size of pack, type of cells, etc.

So more info is needed to answer your question. But also, who cares? The BMS handles that for you and there is nothing you can do to change it.

In 2017, the Model S battery, and probably the Model X, had a:

Passive Cooling Target: 30.0C
Active Cooling Target: 52.0C
Active Heating Target: 8.0C

So I am sure the battery will be fine if it gets cooler and hotter than the Active Targets, as that is when active cooling and heating occurs. I assume the Passive Cooling target is when the fans come on. The sweet spot must be between 8.0C and 30.0C

I have a early 16 S 90D with the A pack
I would like to know the optimal temp for best efficiency and how long I need to drive in cooler temps to reach it
:)
I see @DerbyDave Dave has answered, but again I’ll ask why it matters?

Are you going to start doing laps around your neighborhood and then recharging the vehicle before you make any trips? You have no ability to adjust the heating or cooling properties of the battery. Just drive and let the BMS handle it.

I was going to say in my response, that I agree with Glide. One thing I think Tesla takes good care of is the Battery. We don't need to know all the details, which are many. Of course, the battery can go so low in temperature that power is lost, and so high in temperature that power is lost. This is all the BMS taking care of the battery.

I see @DerbyDave Dave has answered, but again I’ll ask why it matters?

Are you going to start doing laps around your neighborhood and then recharging the vehicle before you make any trips? You have no ability to adjust the heating or cooling properties of the battery. Just drive and let the BMS handle it.
Not doing this for charging, I can precondition the battery for that