Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery vs. Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today the weather in SoCal is 118F and I parked outside with no shade. When I park, I have a 39% SOC. Parked for 3 hours and the SOC went down to 24%.

15% for 3 hours and 5% per hour drain to keep the battery cool in this hot weather. Just wonder how Tesla owners deal with this who always lives in extreme weather. Do they lose SOC like this or even worse?

Based on previous data you've posted (e.g. 261mi @ 90%), it seems it used about 3.4kW average while sitting.

Even if it's Cabin Overheat Protection, I've never seen that high AC usage for that amount of time, but I've also never been in 118F weather. Condolences, I guess?

It's worth mentioning that at those temps, it is nearing the possibility that it actually is cooling the battery. If this is the case, IMO very little energy would be needed to do so (since it's already so close to the threshold) and it would probably do so via the radiator, not the chiller.

The blower and/or compressor would've been just rippin' and quite loud when you got to the car - was it?

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Based on previous data you've posted (e.g. 261mi @ 90%), it seems it used about 3.4kW average while sitting.

Even if it's Cabin Overheat Protection, I've never seen that high AC usage for that amount of time, but I've also never been in 118F weather. Condolences, I guess?

It's worth mentioning that at those temps, it is nearing the possibility that it actually is cooling the battery. If this is the case, IMO very little energy would be needed to do so (since it's already so close to the threshold) and it would probably do so via the radiator, not the chiller.

The blower and/or compressor would've been just rippin' and quite loud when you got to the car - was it?

It was loud as a horse. LOL

my car was parked in the australian outback in sunlight quite a bit at 45 degrees and even though it does cool the battery a bit it doesnt use THAT much power.

you probably have cabin overheat protection on.

let me. check if i can find the teslafi charge efficiency for you when i had it hooked up for 2 days sitting outside.

edit: cant attach it here because im on my mobile but sittin over 24h (obviously at nighttime no cooling is required) charge efficiency charging at 2 and 3kw is around 90 percent. thats with cabin overheat protection on (fan only). outside temp above 40 degrees. car in direct sunlight.

so around 200 to 300w used over 24h. given that most of that is probably between 1000 and 1700 id say the car uses maybe 700 to 800w or so. given that the fan uses 500w on max setting and no doubt itll spin like that to keep interior temps at around 45 to 50 degrees i would guess battery cooling is around 300w or so.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White