Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery's gone ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would get (or borrow) the dongle and use scan my Tesla or TM-Spy (IOS) and see what the nomfullpack is (mine is at 78.5 for my 2015 P85D so about 4% degradation). Also -I see it was 4C so if your battery is cold soaked your efficiency will be between 30-60% depending on how long your trip is (shorter the trip the lower the efficiency). I have had as low as 23% efficiency for 3-5km trips with a cold battery with no pre-heating.

View attachment 509249 View attachment 509249 This is my model S 85 2015

battery capacity left

Here is mine with considerably less mileage. Looks like you are doing great!

8B5E365B-FA48-4888-A454-D7D5F1A3BED5.jpeg

Reactions: IdaX
That was after full chartering 100%
Now I have less.

miners too do a reset because the average use was 350Wh/km!!

now is it 69kW

nominal is 69kW

View attachment 509334

I also experience 350Wh/KM when my pack is that cold. Nothing out of the ordinary in my experience. To make the best out of it make sure you set your depart time charging schedule and the latest 2020.x will also enable battery preheating too. I wont get sub 300Wh/km until my battery is at least 19C (when the regen dotted lines go away).

I would get (or borrow) the dongle and use scan my Tesla or TM-Spy (IOS) and see what the nomfullpack is (mine is at 78.5 for my 2015 P85D so about 4% degradation). Also -I see it was 4C so if your battery is cold soaked your efficiency will be between 30-60% depending on how long your trip is (shorter the trip the lower the efficiency). I have had as low as 23% efficiency for 3-5km trips with a cold battery with no pre-heating.
Already looking into diag cable option.
4C was only last 6 mi segment, rest of the driving was at about 13C.
Today is much warmer, up to 23C high, still 74 mi / 28.9 KWh consumed 46%. Approximated full range is 161 mi, capacity - 63 KWh.

When you say 23% efficiency - basically means your range is down in 4 times ? At which temperatures ?
Any source I've checked shows that Li-Ion capacity drop at 13C should be much less than 10%.
The only potential explanation would be a combination of few factors:
1) Battery heating is not reflected on energy meter.
and 2a) Heating algorithm has major flaw, so heating takes much more capacity than it recovers;
and/or 2b) Battery is so weak, that thermal capacity drop is few times higher than expected.

Already looking into diag cable option.
4C was only last 6 mi segment, rest of the driving was at about 13C.
Today is much warmer, up to 23C high, still 74 mi / 28.9 KWh consumed 46%. Approximated full range is 161 mi, capacity - 63 KWh.

When you say 23% efficiency - basically means your range is down in 4 times ? At which temperatures ?
Any source I've checked shows that Li-Ion capacity drop at 13C should be much less than 10%.
The only potential explanation would be a combination of few factors:
1) Battery heating is not reflected on energy meter.
and 2a) Heating algorithm has major flaw, so heating takes much more capacity than it recovers;
and/or 2b) Battery is so weak, that thermal capacity drop is few times higher than expected.

I would try out/register on teslafi.com. It will give you some good stats. It will give some good graphs based on distance and temp for your efficiency.

I get 80-85%+ efficiency in the summer and plan my long winter trips at about 60% when using abetterrouteplanner with a warm battery (much less with a cold battery and short trip).

I always try to leave with a warm battery and pre-heat on shore power as well. The battery heater in an S is only 6kw and doesn’t exist in a 3 which will run its stator inefficiently to create heat.

• Informative
Reactions: ac_power
I get 80-85%+ efficiency in the summer and plan my long winter trips at about 60% when using abetterrouteplanner with a warm battery (much less with a cold battery and short trip).
OK, this is important point: the efficiency you mentioned is against rated numbers, and if referring actually consumed energy to the change in battery SoC approximates into close-to-nominal total capacity, then there's nothing to worry about.

The battery heater in an S is only 6kw and doesn’t exist in a 3 which will run its stator inefficiently to create heat.
That's good info