Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery's gone ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trip snapshot from yesterday:

IMG_20200204_223430 (Phone).jpg

All looks legit, except that the day started at 79% charge.
Thus, 62.9 mi of driving consumed 43% of the battery capacity. Calculating the percentage back from 23.8 kWh into 100%, it corresponds to 54 kWh full capacity (vs. 85 kWh rated, ~83 actual).

No traffic, mixed highway/city, no elevation change, no heating/AC. The only factor I could attribute it to, is outside temperature, which was around 15 C = 59 F most of the time (only last 6.4 mi run was at 4 C = 39 F), and it was very visible how the level is dropping basically by 1% every 1.5 miles during the day.
Per theory, expected capacity drop at 15 C should be around 7%, not 35%.

Anybody got similar experience, or is it time to visit SC ?

Well, I don't think it's normal that 240 mi indicated range is now practically down to 120 at full charge, once temperature lowered a bit, no matter how we convert the numbers. Today it was around 55 F, and 26 mi consumed 22% of the charge so far. This sort of changes the whole perspective, because running between 80->20% charge basically leaves me with 70 usable miles.
Folks from Canada report 50% range drop below freezing point with cabin heating on, which is understandable. How it can be down 35% at 60 F / 50% at 55 F in my case, is still a question.

So nobody else experiences such huge thermal capacity drop, correct ?

What does your rated mileage show at 80%? Even if you assume your pack was 75kwh when new, a calculated 54kwh capacity now shows you are at 72% of your original capacity. If you assume 85kwh (like the model name says) then you've only got a bit more than 63%. That even comes in under Tesla's degradation threshold of 70%, so I would consult them.

When switching battery indication to rated miles, it consistently shows numbers which approximate into 236..238 mi (like it always was since I've got it in Dec 2018). But when driving, those virtual miles count roughly two for one real, while energy meter keeps reporting 330..370 W/mi like nothing wrong is happening. Looks like drivetrain telemetry and BMS are running totally disconnected, and the system isn't even realizing such huge drain discrepancy.
And yes, it's 85 KWh which yesterday showed around 50% capacity performance. Trying full charge overnight.
Still have extended warranty until Dec, but would like to have solid argument when coming to the SC. Because right now the issue only shows under low temps, and I'm not sure they will respect that. So I think I will try simple tricks with charging / discharging, and keep watching. Hope it clarifies within few months.

As I understand it, the actual capacity change from a temperature drop is not significant, but the efficiency change is noticeable, and this translates into reduced range. This is because people run the heater, the air is slightly denser, and if it's particularly cold, energy will be used to heat the battery. None of those propel the car down the road.

When I've seen my battery capacity decline from temperature drops, it has been a percentage point, maybe two, tops.

On Thanksgiving Sunday on 95 south , all of a sudden mine went from 100 miles to zero instantly. My car died while driving. Tesla never figured out why? Spent entire day at supercharger in Raleigh NC. Finally a female at help desk got my car up and charged. It's been fine since.
BUT, they have throttled me back to less than 50kw everytime I use a supercharger. I'm not happy to say the least.

• Informative
Reactions: Gixx1300R
When switching battery indication to rated miles, it consistently shows numbers which approximate into 236..238 mi (like it always was since I've got it in Dec 2018). But when driving, those virtual miles count roughly two for one real, while energy meter keeps reporting 330..370 W/mi like nothing wrong is happening. Looks like drivetrain telemetry and BMS are running totally disconnected, and the system isn't even realizing such huge drain discrepancy.
And yes, it's 85 KWh which yesterday showed around 50% capacity performance. Trying full charge overnight.
Still have extended warranty until Dec, but would like to have solid argument when coming to the SC. Because right now the issue only shows under low temps, and I'm not sure they will respect that. So I think I will try simple tricks with charging / discharging, and keep watching. Hope it clarifies within few months.

Last week I had the same problem. After a reset I got the right indication.

On Thanksgiving Sunday on 95 south , all of a sudden mine went from 100 miles to zero instantly. My car died while driving. Tesla never figured out why? Spent entire day at supercharger in Raleigh NC. Finally a female at help desk got my car up and charged. It's been fine since.
BUT, they have throttled me back to less than 50kw everytime I use a supercharger. I'm not happy to say the least.

Wow 50kW max charging is brutal! I'd definitely complain to Tesla about that and get the issue figured out if at all possible rather than just band aiding the situation by limiting superchaging speeds.

As I understand it, the actual capacity change from a temperature drop is not significant, but the efficiency change is noticeable, and this translates into reduced range. This is because people run the heater, the air is slightly denser, and if it's particularly cold, energy will be used to heat the battery. None of those propel the car down the road.

When I've seen my battery capacity decline from temperature drops, it has been a percentage point, maybe two, tops.
That's what I would normally expect. And all auxiliary consumption would show on energy meter, so W/mi number would be up, thus explaining faster battery drain. But it still shows something next to historical average. And when the car stopped, the power bar is at zero, which means no hidden drain. So everything looks totally normal except battery capacity virtually halved.

You might barely get in under the 8-year battery warranty if there's an issue. Try charging it back up to 100% (or 90%) and see if it's a long-term issue.
OK, charging to 100% didn't fix anything. Morning drive of 18 mi / 7 KWh consumed 15%, and it's much warmer today.
Another interesting fact is that charging 45% (from 55% to 100%) consumed only 35 KWh (have a dedicated meter on charger), which with typical charging efficiency of around 80% refers to ( 35 KWh * 0.8 ) / 0.45 = 62 KWh equivalent full capacity.
So the substantial capacity drop confirms in few independent ways already, but the system stubbornly keeps reporting normal rated range.
Now I'm going to keep it on diet until 10% or so, and the numbers I get will be a final justification for the SC, where I may be coming sooner than planned.

Last week I had the same problem. After a reset I got the right indication.
Can you clarify, what indication got right ?
Just did a reset (scroll wheels), and the numbers are still the same, meaning that the battery is at 85% (201 mi rated) after 18-mile run.

Can you check your trip stats since last charging for any discrepancy between rated and actual mileage ?
Interestingly, I had a 800-mi road trip month ago, all went alright, with more or less accurate ranging, and supercharging hitting ~80 KW at low SoC.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and Snerruc
There's also phantom drain, which is particularly bad in cold weather I've found. I'll take a similar picture of my trip meter in my Model3, showing hardly any on-road usage but the battery's down to 20% just from sitting around...

There's also phantom drain, which is particularly bad in cold weather I've found. I'll take a similar picture of my trip meter in my Model3, showing hardly any on-road usage but the battery's down to 20% just from sitting around...
That's probably Sentry mode (and battery heating when it's below freezing point). But otherwise - yes, TM3 has tremendous efficiency.
My one is rock solid when sitting still, at least at those temperatures.

The scary thing about your case is that the projected range does not change based on this new capacity. Once you have gotten to know the car and how temperature/wind/elevation changes affect its range, you can plan for them. In this case, you think everything is normal until you go to drive and suddenly you may not have the range you need to make a trip.

I would suggest getting a scanner and ScanMyTesla to check what your "usable full pack" rating is.

Reactions: ac_power
The scary thing about your case is that the projected range does not change based on this new capacity. Once you have gotten to know the car and how temperature/wind/elevation changes affect its range, you can plan for them. In this case, you think everything is normal until you go to drive and suddenly you may not have the range you need to make a trip.

I would suggest getting a scanner and ScanMyTesla to check what your "usable full pack" rating is.

Use the onboard navigation that will tells you where and when too charge.

Very strange thing happened to me yesterday. At super charger, started at 36kw, moved 20 miles to another super charger. Same 36kw. Called help desk. "Batttery if fine", all is well.
Guy pulls up next to me, I ask his rate, he says 87kw. Ho ho. He is listening to my call, he gets out of his S, walks around, types in my Vin. Then he says "you have water pump error codes". Guest what, hes a ranger.
I said , so that's why it wont charge? "YES, no heating of battery up to 68, and no cooling while charging. "".
When I bought the car, it would start over 100kw, cord would get hot, fans would cut on, I called help desk first day. "No that's normal, its cooling while you take in 400 volts "".
I called last month about the yellow warning lines on instrument panel. Both upper and lower. Help desk only said the battery was not up to temperature. Did not tell me pump was bad.
So my range has changed because battery is not cooling or heating properly? Help desk said yes.
I will take out frunk and figure out which pump is bad and change it next week.

That is very strange!!! You didn’t get any warning ⚠️???? My model S 85 makes a bubbling sound when it’s cooling at the supercharger. I went too the service center and they said nothing is wrong....
How the hell is it possible that you didn’t got any error????

here in the Netherlands the service people at Den Haag and Amsterdam are tell opposites thing when I ask how about free supercharging.