Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bay Area repair conundrum: Tesla collision center v certified center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was rear-ended at pretty high speed on I-280 last week. Not fun and pretty extensive rear-end damage…airbags didn’t go off but seatbelt popped out which apparently disables the battery so it was bricked in the middle lane of the highway.

The trunk basically buckled in, not just bumper damage.

I had the car towed to Carstar Chilton in San Carlos — but they warned me they had no room for it…for weeks (it’s just like on the street outside their shop). I called Tesla Collision and they were able to fit me in for an appointment tomorrow.

This is the “which grocery line is shorter” conundrum. Carstar thinks it will take 3 months to fix because they are waiting on parts. I have no idea if Tesla would be any better…since the issue is parts.

I can have the car towed 30+ miles tomorrow…and show up in person. But that’s going to suck if I have to bring it back and it’s all for nothing…

Any suggestions? I would hate to wait 3 months unless it turns out every grocery line is 3 months :)
C11925A3-57D7-4D05-99D6-F6285CDC81E2.jpeg

Attachments

• 1FB7019C-452D-492C-A8E2-B2C370F3AA5C.jpeg
    1FB7019C-452D-492C-A8E2-B2C370F3AA5C.jpeg
    677.7 KB · Views: 61
Sorry to hear of your accident. All things being equal, I would go with the Tesla Collision Center, as long as it's definitely being run by Tesla, vs. a "certified" center as my opinion (not actual experience) is that Tesla would supply parts to their own repair operations before sending them to a certified center.

As someone who waited 18 MONTHS for two powerwalls to be delivered to my third party installer while Tesla happily installed them for their own customers in 2-3 weeks, I can say with certainty they absolutely scratch their own back first. No way a Tesla collision center waits 3 months for Tesla parts.

Go with the tesla collision center, they get the part first. Approved body shops always have part issues. My car has been sitting in the shop over 3 months and still waiting for some critical parts. The body shop also has no idea when will the part will arrive.