Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC Winter Tires - Shops won't install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

With previous vehicles that I've installed "weird" winter tires on (Toyo Observe, Nokian Hakkapeliitta) I had to fight with local tire shops to get them to install "wrong" sized tires (off by 5 on one of the size numbers, or a combo that produced the same diameter tire), some outright refusing to install. This was always due to the exact size not being made for that tire type and they're extremely worried about... something bad happening, I guess?

Now with the Model 3 I'm looking at Hakkas again, but I'm worried about the speed rating. It is significantly lower than OEM tires, not that I plan on going 160km/h on the Coquihalla in winter (or ever, for that matter).

Has anyone got local shops to install Hakkas without a fight? Will they do it even with the "wrong" speed rating and it not being a "recommended" tire for the vehicle?

My Winter SottoZero 3's are H rated tires (98XL load rating) in 245/40/R19. 1010 Tires had no issues installing them on TSportline Wheels. I'm not too sure what options you have out there in Vernon.

If I go with Hakkas, Kal Tire is my only option as far as I know. I was attempting to avoid "performance winters", since they generally don't do as good of a job in snow and ice. However, perhaps I have been misled on that point.

If I go with Hakkas, Kal Tire is my only option as far as I know. I was attempting to avoid "performance winters", since they generally don't do as good of a job in snow and ice. However, perhaps I have been misled on that point.

Performance winters are "pretty good" in the snow, but I wouldn't call then "excellent". If I were driving longer distances on regular basis such as the COQ, I would opt for a something like a the Hakkas or a Nokien. In my experience, as long as you don't super crazy off spec, the most the tire shop guys will do is advise you that it is off spec but ultimately will install them for you if you still insist on doing so.