Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla won't ship or mobile service winter tires???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems ridiculous to me that I have to drive roughly 8 hours round-trip to have my winter tires installed if purchased through Tesla. They won't ship them to me directly, and won't send the mobile ranger. This boggles my mind. Am I missing something? How is there no mention of anyone complaining about this on the forums o_O. Am I being over-dramatic? Live in the interior of BC and have to drive to Vancouver. I want to use the aero caps for the winter, so sort of have no choice. But just seems insane to me. Has anyone been told any different?

How did you order? Did you order just tires or tires and rims? The on-line order page is pretty clear it includes mounting at the service center. Mobile techs dont have the required tools to mount and balance tires. I would say you dont read any complaints because most of us dont buy tires from Tesla preferring local shops instead. I dont understand your comment about aero wheels and not having a choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
Who do you guys buy winter tires/Rims from? I normally buy from Costco for my previous car. Tesla is $3K including TPM, which seems really high, I am wonder whether I should just go with them or find better prices elsewhere. The same tire at Costco is $2K, add rims and TPM, not much less expensive.

To clarify, I ordered the winter tire package (ie rims and wheels). As far as I know, the aero caps only fit the rims that Tesla sells. And my understanding is that it does provide some range improvement (which is important for mitigating winter losses for me). I’m not using them for regular swaps 😝. Also, curious about where people are getting rims/wheels/TPMS for half the price of Tesla’s offering. Pretty sure they all worked out quite similar in pricing, which is why I went with OEM option.

Reactions: father_of_6
I got the Tesla package as the difference in price was minimal, after looking at rims, tpms and rubber.
Just was not worth the few $$ savings.

And yes you need to pick them up at a service centre.
You will need to select the service centre of choice when ordering.

Also a side advantage buy purchasing the package with Tesla is that they will service it for roadside, etc.

Can be had for less than $50 on Amazon, just be sure to get ones compatible with Tesla. Also note not all sensors operate on the same frequency.

Not sure why some are more pricy.
I had my first set from Amazon - older 433Mhz TPMS, (there's two kinds, after 2021, they went bluetooth) one went bad after 1 year and had to be replaced with another set, then it was fine for a year, a 2nd one failed, replaced, then all four are fine now for 2years+. The tpms with the stock summer tires have never failed so far.

It seems ridiculous to me that I have to drive roughly 8 hours round-trip to have my winter tires installed if purchased through Tesla. They won't ship them to me directly, and won't send the mobile ranger. This boggles my mind. Am I missing something? How is there no mention of anyone complaining about this on the forums o_O. Am I being over-dramatic? Live in the interior of BC and have to drive to Vancouver. I want to use the aero caps for the winter, so sort of have no choice. But just seems insane to me. Has anyone been told any different?
One option you might consider is to price out Tesla rims (and pressure sensors) and then buy tires locally. I did that five years ago but I had to go to Vancouver to avoid high shipping fees for the rims. Tesla rims don't show on their website but should be available if you contact them (try the Service Center on the Langley By-pass if you are coming from the Interior). I believe that their email address is [email protected]

It had never occurred to me to buy my winter tires from Tesla - I bought the wheels on line, and took them to Kal-Tire, where I bought the tires and had them installed. If Tesla is making it difficult to buy from them, then don't buy from them. I did buy my TPMS from Tesla, because I was worried about the communication with the car, but I was able to easily drive to a Service Center to pick them up. If I'd lived hours from a Service Center, I probably would have found another source that could ship them to me. Kal Tire installed them with my winter tires without blinking. (The manager of my location drives a Tesla too.)

Reactions: UncleCreepy