Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be careful out there! [tesla accident]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NTSB revealed that the maximum speed was 90 MPH to beat the yellow light with the accelerator from 0 to 100% and no brake applied at all.
Yeah, not surprised. My 60-70mph estimate above was deliberately biased to being on the low side.

People in the Twitter thread were estimating 35mph, for reasons that remain unclear, since it was not supported by the video evidence.

Last edited:
Where is this video?
It got pulled within a day or two of the accident. With very low quality video, it shows a Model 3 far ahead (several hundred yards ahead I think) accelerating through an intersection, catching air (there is a sudden small rise to the intersection and hitting it at 90mph apparently results in catching air) , losing control when it hits the pavement again (sparks fly as underside of car gouges the pavement - which was slightly surprising but may be expected if car was nose heavy), veering to the left off the roadway, then hitting two trees sideways, and immediately bursting into flames with sparking battery cells flying everywhere (this takes less than 3 seconds). At least the passenger of the vehicle likely died instantly on impact.

No surprises. That is generally what I would expect with a side impact of an EV into an immovable object at 40-50mph.