Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Been gone for far too long... a long overdue delivery update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, I must apologize for the tardiness of this post. It should have been made in late January or early February.

I got P912, one of the first 60kWh versions to roll off the line, at the end of January. I picked it up at the factory (while wearing a proper clan tartan kilt) in late January and have been crazy busy ever since.

I now have 4000 miles on the car and am loving every second of it. I had a lot of comments 5 months ago about things I would post once I got my car but by now I am sure they are all mostly moot since so many others have since received their cars and posted their stories so I won't tell the whole tale unless people have questions for me which I am happy to answer as time permits.

Bottom line: This truly is the best car in the world, hands down. Any sucker that pays more for anything else made a huge mistake. When I was a kid I always loved Lamborghinis. The unique scissor doors, the story about how the company only exists to stick it to Ferrari since Mr. Ferrari was a snob to Mr. Lamborghini when he just made farming equipment, etc. adding to the mystique, the crazy performace and crazier looks made my 6 year old brain go gaga. Now with a Model S, I can say that I own my dream car--and I don't even have a P85.

I got the "dolphin" grey and I think it looks great. However, I am going to take exception to it being called "dolphin" grey. The front of a Tesla Model S CLEARLY has a big T respresenting a single large tooth in the fish mouth that replaces a typical car grill. If we are going to name the grey color after a cetacean, then it can only be a narwhal--the single tusked unicorn of the sea. As a result, those of you who remember my old avatar will find it's narwhal equivalent has replaced the old graphic but retained the same theme of Scottish pride :) It is a bit smaller and harder to see, though.

Shortly after I took delivery of this wonder car, I drove it from the south bay area to Tahoe at night in 15 degree F weather... with no problems... with an elevation increase of something like 4000 feet straight uphill. Then that jackass from the NYT wrote his idiot article blaming Tesla for his own stupidity and a lack of EV charging infrastructure. Since then, every other publication on Earth has basically refuted his BS and vindicated this car as the amazing leap forward that it is.

Yes there are some issues: Needs more cupholders, bring back the grab handles, put the rear seat seatbelt plugs on stalks so that owners with kids and booster seats don't have to resort to Hurculean efforts to get their kids in the car, add power folding side mirrors, and add the ability for the OS media system to recognise embedded album cover artwork to name a few.

Otherwise, the car is pretty much perfect. I love it, Love it, LOVE IT.

And I am sorry I have been away for so long. Miss you all and want to thank you for the amazing advice that helped me in picking up this car and converting to an EV.

I purchased solar panels to go with the car, and thus far they have put out far more kWh than the car has used since I picked it up. The fact that I am sending no troops to die to secure oil, and am not polluting the air for my great-great-great grandchildren is priceless. I really could not be happier with my purchase, and this is coming from a guy who replaced a Kia. I would never spend $90k for a car that wasn't this revolutionary. But I don't regret the money for a second. In fact, I have spawned at least 5 Model S reservations of which I am aware and am quite happy to keep generating revenue for this fantastic company.

Elon and the gang: hats off to you. You rock.

Cheers.

Welcome back!

I guess if you have a narwhal I've got a beluga. It is pretty big and wide.

Now I'm going to think of Raffi and his song Baby Beluga every time I see a white Model S.

BABY BELUGA - with Lyrics - YouTube

Hahah.

cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Great post! Worth the wait.

Aww shucks.

Much appreciated.

I should also add for anyone else contemplating wearing a kilt to the factory tour that during the tour you walk up this metal catwalk over the assembly line. The stairs are kinda steep. Since I was close to the front of the tour group when I went, I am quite sure that the entire entourage is now aware that I wear my kilt like a true scotsman. Scots consider yourselves warned :)

Cheers.