Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bench Seat Handle Rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my new MX the 2nd row bench seat handle that allows you to slide the seats forward and backwards has an awful rattle at freeway speeds. It's only on the passenger side one. Support is useless and said unless it's a failed part it wouldn't be covered even though I've had it for 2 weeks. Any ideas on how to get it covered or adjust this?

What support told you they would not fix this? Unless there's been some massive change recently they will fix this. There's even a category in the app for noises when you're scheduling a service request. Schedule it up, be polite but firm, they should fix it. It's pretty common for manufacturers to limit warranty coverage for noises but two weeks is plenty new enough for them to cover this or at least goodwill it.

In my new MX the 2nd row bench seat handle that allows you to slide the seats forward and backwards has an awful rattle at freeway speeds. It's only on the passenger side one. Support is useless and said unless it's a failed part it wouldn't be covered even though I've had it for 2 weeks. Any ideas on how to get it covered or adjust this?

I've been noticing this as well, ever since I bought my refresh. I thought it was the falcon wing door, but today I figured out it's that seat handle. It's very loose when the seat is up and backed up (most legroom). It seems ok and not as loose when it's pushed forward (least legroom). And no rattle at all when it's folded down. It's pretty annoying that it would cause the most noise in the position that it's most likely to be.

I tried tightening the bolt that holds the handle to the seat, but it was already pretty tight, and didn't seem to do much. I wonder if it has something to do with the length of the cable, and if the cable length is adjusted shorter or longer, it would keep more tension on the handle.

There's also a spring to one side of the handle that I imagine could provide some stability. I think I might duct tape it to the bottom of the seat when not in use, if Tesla service can't fix it (I have an appointment tomorrow).

I have the same issue. I fashioned a Velcro strap to prevent movement. I rarely move the seat so an occasional release of the strap works well. Dirt cheap. A simple test to verify the noise was to apply painters tape the handle. photo is only ok but here it is!
tesla strap.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: nicedrum