Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bent Arachnid 21" rim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was driving and hit a concrete obstruction in the road (about 3 inches tall or so) with my fairly new 21" Arachnid referral wheelset, blowing out both left hand tires (front and rear). After getting the tires replaced, the tire place says the rims have a slight bend to them, thus giving the car a small, but perceptible vibration. Driving confirms the vibration, mild at low speeds, more pronounced at high speeds. In the meantime, I switched back to the stock 19's, but am looking to get my 21's back running. The replacement Arachnids are $1300 apiece from the SC, not really my idea of a good time. Not really sure where to start, any ideas would be appreciated. The options in order of cost I see are:

1. Try to do an insurance claim. I didn't really even think about it (I have a $1000 deductible), so I paid the roughly $680 for two new tires and mounting without contacting insurance. Any idea if insurance gives credit for money already spent on tires as part of the same incident (I have USAA)?

2. The current Arachnid setup is 9" wide rim in the front and 10" rim in the back. I can find some cheap wheels on ebay for the 9" size, but not the 10", so I'm thinking about getting four new 29X9 rims and simply running the non staggered setup.

3. Pay out of pocket for the new rims from SC and bite the bullet.

Any thoughts on other avenues or ideas would be appreciated.

there are companies that specialize in wheel repair, I would try that in conjunction with a collision claim with USAA.... this is exactly why we got rid of 21's on all three of our Tesla's. You are lucky that forged Arachnids are pretty strong, if that had been the stock 21's they probably would have been totally destroyed.

BTW love those wheels, just wish they were 19's or 20's....

www.akmobiletirerepair.com

RimSpec-Alaska Wheel Repair and Rim Repair Atv Motorcycles Cars Semis bent wheel repair service - Wheel Rim Repair Bent | Damaged | Curb Rash | Cracked | Powder Coating

Last edited:
USAA will cover you for the tires retroactively, just call them. Your Arachnids are 8.5" front and 9" rear. I'd just go for the replacement from Tesla and be glad it's available, I bought two sets assuming they wouldn't be.
Just buy another whole new set on the forums for $2700

Use then and sell the other set after you get the two bent wheels straightened.. Will only cost you a few hundred bucks this way (the delta between a new set and a used set with two repaired wheels)

I've used the wheel straightening service on the stock 21" wheels with mixed results, but the Arachnids are forged. Can forged wheels be straightened? I'm truly asking and don't know, but I would think that it's very hard to bend them back into shape, in the same way that it's harder to damage them in the first place.