Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best approach to cold weather storage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2021 Y is in an unconditioned garage where the temperature lately is around 32 degrees. It's plugged in and not directly open to any of the elements beyond the ambient cold. Is there a recommended minimum temperature I should strive to keep the car at to help protect any part of the interior? Or is it fine where it is, and just precondition the battery whenever I plan I taking it out?

Our 2021 Y is in an unconditioned garage where the temperature lately is around 32 degrees. It's plugged in and not directly open to any of the elements beyond the ambient cold. Is there a recommended minimum temperature I should strive to keep the car at to help protect any part of the interior? Or is it fine where it is, and just precondition the battery whenever I plan I taking it out?

It’ll be fine. No action required on your part. My cars are currently outside at 17°F, not plugged in.

The battery does not need to be preconditioned before driving. Preconditioning is for your own personal comfort or for preparing the car for a long trip, for which the additional range would be beneficial. If you’re making short trips, extended preconditioning (>10 minutes) just wastes power.