Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Course of Action for Denied Warranty Claim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks

Thanks for the wealth of information on this forum.

My Model 3 has two parallel marks / blemishes on the inside of the windshield that won’t clean off (directly in my line of sight). The warranty appointment was made about the 30 day point and we’re close to 60 days of ownership now. The service center told me that they are blemishes but wont honor a windshield replacement or repair under warranty, would rather charge me $1000 for a new windshield.

I’m not satisfied with this and have heard terrible things about trying to get through to further support at Tesla. What is the best recommended course of action at this time? It’s obvious I won’t get anywhere here. I insisted he document the denial of warranty for a blemished windshield with his name on the paperwork. Now the technician claims that he never said they weren't blemishes - Lack of integrity is a common theme at Tesla is seems.

Thanks for any advice you have.

My Model 3 has two parallel marks / blemishes on the inside of the windshield that won’t clean off (directly in my line of sight). The warranty appointment was made about the 30 day point and we’re close to 60 days of ownership now. The service center told me that they are blemishes but wont honor a windshield replacement or repair under warranty, would rather charge me $1000 for a new windshield.
What methods have you tried to clean off the marks? I’m wondering if you have tried a glass polish. I can’t recommend a specific product, but I suspect there are products designed to clean glass that won’t scratch it. I’ve used glass polishes for glass stove tops that work well, but of course one doesn’t look through a glass stove top so I don’t know if such products would be suitable for a windshield.

Just a suggestion...

I think Texas has lemon law
A mark on a windshield is probably not sufficient to make a lemon law claim.

TXDMV.GOV - Lemon Law
Quote: “If you have purchased or leased a new motor vehicle and it develops a defect or condition that substantially impairs the motor vehicle’s use, market value or safety, you may be eligible for relief under the Texas Lemon Law”

Hi folks

I’m not satisfied with this and have heard terrible things about trying to get through to further support at Tesla. What is the best recommended course of action at this time? It’s obvious I won’t get anywhere here. I insisted he document the denial of warranty for a blemished windshield with his name on the paperwork. Now the technician claims that he never said they weren't blemishes - Lack of integrity is a common theme at Tesla is seems.

Look at you're insurance. Most insurance companies will replace the windshield. Sometimes it's only $100.00 deductible. Maybe a small rock came up and made a crack on the way to the dealership..... ;)

• Funny
Reactions: calidreamz808
Owners can escalate their claims over the service writer to management. As others said, I would first try to clear the blemishes myself and see if it gets better.

If your blemishes obscure your vision, I imagine the company would clean them or replace the windshield if they do not meet state or federal requirements. Having this in you line of sight would make it more critical.

Many private window companies may replace your windshield if it is bad enough and bill your insurance company.

If your blemishes are very minor, and do not obstruct your vision, you might be on your own to replace the glass.

If it is just an owner being picky, understand the reluctance for the company to do a replacement. If it truly obstructs your vision, they should replace.

Like others said, try to polish it out first. If it is still an issue, which sounds like it probably is if you are here asking this... get some good pictures of the marks. You could file a small claims case, consumer claim with your AG, arbitration case (Tesla pays the fees) NCDS - Automotive Warranty Disputes or https://www.adr.org/Support. Tesla appears to be tightening up the purse strings on legitimate warranty issues and forcing long drawn out claims because they know plenty of people won't go through the hassle.

I had what looked like a curved streak in my windshield. You could only see it in the sunlight but it was definitely noticeable. I reported it within the first week and they replaced my windshield. I would keep pushing because your issue isn't the first time this has happened.

Hi folks

Any pictures?

Thanks for all of your advice. I'm going to try to get some pictures. I'll have to work at duplicating the scenario which they show up the best... It shows up at dark and then (street) lights hit the windshield. Guess my plan A is to escalate to Tesla (I'm still peeved about the lack of integrity with Tesla employees. Plan B is to have Safelight (or similar) see if it can be polished. Plan C is to wait for the inevitable rock chip.

Thanks again

When you talk to Safelight, see if they would make an evaluation as to cleanability and if it poses a hazard to driving and should be replaced. Imagine that will be enough to generate a warranty replacement.
Saflite does a ton of windshield replacements for Tesla and I believe it would carry some weight.

Perhaps when the tech looked at your windshield, conditions may not have been right for them to see the blemishes and how they would be distracting at night. Tech will need some real evidence to the problem before being able to generate a warranty ticket.

My 17 X had some ghosting from LED tail lights. They checked it to see if it was bad enough to be replaced, but testing showed it was not bad enough. While I could notice it under some circumstances, it was also not noticible enough to me to pay to have it replaced as well. (guess I agreed with them :)

Just got a new Raven 2019 X and the glass is much better. Could call it perfect. Guess they are always working on ways to make their cars better.

Kind of need to ask yourself as well if it is bad enough for you to replace it at your cost. Might give you an understanding of how Tesla might also be looking at it. Understand you want it perfect and want them to replace it under warranty though.

Reactions: Octane
Guess my plan A is to escalate to Tesla (I'm still peeved about the lack of integrity with Tesla employees.

Those employees do what they're told, i.e. do whatever it takes to get customers out with as little work performed as possible. I bet a lot of them hate to be in that position but I have met several at the Dallas SC that seem to thrive in that kind of environment.

Slim chance of a better outcome, but maybe you should give Plano a shot. I understand they have a new service manager, maybe he's not as jaded and burnt out yet and he'll find a way to do the right thing.

I reported what looks like several razor blade scratches on my touchscreen (that I obviously did not cause) and they told me it is not a warranty issue but they can provide an estimate. Just trying to let you know they do this stuff to everyone... They do not want to fix anything they can deny and wiggle out of. Just how they are these days.

If I were making cars and someone reported a windshield scratch / mark type issue on the inside or outside 30 days after delivery I would dismiss it as it happened on their end nothing to do with manufacturing and therefore not covered by the warranty.

Without seeing pictures or more backstory I don't see this as them wiggling out of a claim.
Now if you really feel it was a manufacturing / quality issue I think the onus is on you to proof that and why you did not notice it for 29 days.

In my state full windshield coverage with car insurance I think is mandatory for safety reasons. I pay zero for windshield replacements and always have paid nothing out of pocket. No deductible; of course I am sure insurance costs more as a result in my state.; but the windshield issue I usually seem to take advantage of every 18 months or so due to a stray pebble on the road creating a crack.