Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best glovebox USB A HUB?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y apparently only has data in the glovebox, as opposed (from what I've read) to others, which have data in the center console

I purchased an adapter (see upper photo below), which expands the single USB A with data to four outlets, but it's really clunky... on a long cord, which isn't very elegant.

Wondering if anyone has an option which would plug in to the USB in the back of the glovebox, and expand it to four outlets. (see 2nd photo below)

I realize this isn't a major problem, but as I plan to keep my Model Y for a while, I'd like a more elegant solution, and just wondering if anyone has come across one.

I don't believe the item from TParts (2nd photo) will work, as it seems to plug in on the right side, and the USB in the glove box is way over on the left hand side. If anyone happens to know if it will work, that would be great!

USB Hub.jpg
TParts USB.jpg

Reactions: SWIPE
If the Tesla USB thumb drive or similar USB device is installed in the USB-A data port inside the glove box and Dashcam is set to be on (or Sentry Mode), the drive is mounted for exclusive use by Dashcam and Sentry Mode. You would need to either partition the storage device or use a USB hub.

Hi I just tried partitioning the drive (successfully) but when I inserted it back in to the Tesla, the Tesla wanted to format the drive again for Sentry to work. Once it formatted the drive it removed the partition.

Back to square one (or am I missing something with the partitioning?

Hi I just tried partitioning the drive (successfully) but when I inserted it back in to the Tesla, the Tesla wanted to format the drive again for Sentry to work. Once it formatted the drive it removed the partition.

Back to square one (or am I missing something with the partitioning?
For the partition that will be used for Dashcam/Sentry mode there needs to be a root level folder named /Teslacam. Perhaps that it why the Tesla forced you to reformat the partition drive.

I'm using this hub from Amazon, which fits the glovebox snuggly: Amazon.com
Third times the charm!

Thank you for this suggestion! I tried the other two hubs I posted photos of... the first one flopped around in the glovebox and was facing backwards, so very awkward to use.

The second hub I posted a photo of, the glove box wouldn't close without hitting the flash drive, which made me nervous that eventually, it would get damaged or come out.

Your suggestion seems to be working great! Haven't installed the Bluetooth hub for my wireless controller yet, but I did install the hub and Tesla furnished flash drive, and sentry mode is working fine!

The hub you recommended now adds 3 USB-A ports and 1 USB C port, giving me an extra 2 USB-A and 1 USB C ports I didn't previously have.

It also seems very well made, if slightly more expensive.

By the way... I am NOT using it for music catalogue, so I can't comment on if it works for that purpose. I simply want to have a wireless controller for those times I'm waiting for my daughter after school, and she's taking forever to come out!

Thanks for your suggestion!

Update on my using a Vention 4 port USB-A hub, with the Tesla USB drive for the Sentry cam and my own SanDisk Ultra 512GB USB drive for music.

It all seems to be working ok except for I have noticed that the hub and drives are all warm, on occasion very warm. The other day I tried to use the internet browser and it wouldn't open any websites. I initially tried rebooting the touchscreen no luck. Not sure why, but I wondered if it was anything to do with the USB-A hub set up so I removed them all, rebooted again and voila the internet started working. I then put the USB-A hub and drives back in and everything is working again.

Hopefully, that is, I'm not sure if it may happen again, as the set up is still quite warm.

Anyone have any ideas if I am perhaps using something spurious, or is it something that you guys are just accepting as a problematic solution?