Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best hours to recharge my Tesla in San Diego?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you get paid $0.30/kwh for the power you put into the net?
cool
under the old rules you got paid what you put back in at what they were charging! At my house that would have been over 50 cents per kwh from 2-6pm. . .

I did some math and figured we could net meter our old California house to zero net bill with 6.6kwh of power since we never used AC between 2p and 6pm. Even during COVID when we were home - I'd cool the house down to 72 before 2pm - then let it coast til it got to 80 - then popped it on - only on the hottest days would the temp get to 80 before the cheaper power came back at 8pm.

Now - I NEVER installed it because the out of pocket cost was over $20k and we knew were moving out of the peoples republic but the beauty of net metering was that you did not need enough power to replace your power use - only enough power to get the bill to zero!

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
If you have solar annd are still on NEM2 and have an EV then I feel EVTOU5 is way to go. Most people drive their vehicle enough to make up for $16 monthly charge. Furthermore, if you have a solar battery that you can schedule to charge during super off peak hours then even better. Instead of the sun charging solar battery during the day you will be generating credits that are significantly worth more than what you paid to charge solar battery at night. Basic economics. Buy low (15 cents) and sell high (48 cents). Overproducer or not if still on NEM2 works out in your favor.

• Informative
If you have solar annd are still on NEM2 and have an EV then I feel EVTOU5 is way to go. Most people drive their vehicle enough to make up for $16 monthly charge. Furthermore, if you have a solar battery that you can schedule to charge during super off peak hours then even better. Instead of the sun charging solar battery during the day you will be generating credits that are significantly worth more than what you paid to charge solar battery at night. Basic economics. Buy low (15 cents) and sell high (48 cents). Overproducer or not if still on NEM2 works out in your favor.

Do you have the products you are talking about? If you take the 30% Energy tax credit you are not supposed to charge storage from the grid, and we still dont know what triggers charging a powerwall from the grid being even available in the Tesla app, so advising someone to charge a powerwall from the grid in CA so they can sell all their PV is not something most can do.

• Informative
Do you have the products you are talking about? If you take the 30% Energy tax credit you are not supposed to charge storage from the grid, and we still dont know what triggers charging a powerwall from the grid being even available in the Tesla app, so advising someone to charge a powerwall from the grid in CA so they can sell all their PV is not something most can do.
I just finished year on EVTOU2. SDGE app recommends EVTOU5 which made sense when I did the math (excel nerd) so I switched. I don’t have Tesla power wall but have Enphase battery and their app allows you to schedule charging during off peak hours. SDGE provides incentives for you to shift usage to off peak based on time of use. Charge car, do laundry, etc. Isn’t charging your car off peak essentially same as charging battery off peak? I think of my battery as just a second EV vehicle. Not familiar though with your comment regarding taking tax credit and not being able to charge solar battery from grid so will look into that.

Isn’t charging your car off peak essentially same as charging battery off peak?

Not as it relates to the 30% income tax credit you likely took (or are taking).
EDIT: This may have changed if someone is installing batteries now (2023), under the new rules. I havent paid close attention to any new stipulations. its definitely the case that prior to 2023, batteries needed to be charged from a renewable source to take a tax credit on them.

Last edited:
EDIT: This may have changed if someone is installing batteries now (2023), under the new rules. I havent paid close attention to any new stipulations. its definitely the case that prior to 2023, batteries needed to be charged from a renewable source to take a tax credit on them.
California grid is mostly renewable during daylight hours now.

I trust any arrangement with SDGE as far as I can spit. Hesitant to change my current program. We charge when we can off the panels during good daytime solar production. Old School simpleton

EDIT: This may have changed if someone is installing batteries now (2023), under the new rules. I havent paid close attention to any new stipulations. its definitely the case that prior to 2023, batteries needed to be charged from a renewable source to take a tax credit on them
Since my solar and battery 🪫 were installed in 2022 it falls under the Residential Clean Energy Credit. https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2022-40.pdf I don’t see any language stating it has to be charged from renewable source. Is there another document that I should be referring to? Even if we could find such a document I have charged from a renewable source (solar generation) for the past year. The only thing I can think of that would prevent me from charging my battery super off peak hours EVTOU5 to save more money being on NEM2 is so SDGE can make more profit. If on NEM3 then this doesn’t apply as SDGE only pays only 4-8 cents a kWh for excess generation so cheaper to charge solar battery with the sun during the day if on NEM3. Is there a flaw that I am missing in this logic?

Side note. For those of you still trying to decide between the SDGE pricing plans EVTOU2 vs EVTOU5 the break even point is 122kwh a month or roughly 4kwh a day. If you use at least this much you will save enough to pay the $16 a month fee. If you use more of this for your car then you pocket the additional savings. For instance, you have a Tesla MS 100 kWh battery and you average more than 4 kWh a day which is 4% of your battery capacity you will save money. If you had a 90 kWh battery then 4 kWh would be 4.4% and so on. All this of course is assuming you will be scheduling the charging of your Tesla during super off peak hours. Hope this helps.

As of Jan 1, 2023 standalone batteries (that is, not connected to solar) qualify for the 30% tax credit. I believe the verbiage before just required them to be connected to solar but not necessarily ONLY charged by solar.

The problem with all the TOU plans is that SDGE moved the end of their peak rate time from 3:00 pm to 9:00 pm because they say between 4 and 9 pm is the peak demand, which I think is complete hogwash. I think they specifically did that to stick it to solar owners because they know your production will be way down from late afternoon into night so unless you have a battery, you'll be drawing off the grid if you use electricity then.

And they are not reimbursing you the same price per kWh that you would use at the same time. Looking at their chart here (Excess Generation | San Diego Gas & Electric) the highest rate they pay you is in Feb for $0.14/kWh. Most of the rest of the year it's around $0.05/kWh. In June, July, and Aug, it's around $0.03/kWh.

So you need to move all your high energy needs to after 9:00 pm or even midnight for the best rates. Others may not care but I find this extremely inconvenient (not talking about charging the Tesla since that can be scheduled), and I've stated before, SDGE actually forecasts that I'd pay more on a TOU plan.