Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best panel options to add nema 14-50 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to get some opinions here since we're trying to add a 14-50 outlet to the garage for my parents MYLR. As you can see, the panel is full and located in the basement just adjacent and below to the attached garage. We already have a conduit from one of the circuits going through the garage to a split air ac unit on the second floor. There's a junction box on that circuit exactly where we'd like to place the plug in the garage. Since we're out of breakers, the person who helped install the split air units suggested that we add a small sub panel directly next to this panel but I was hoping we could combine some of the remaining circuits by adding more tandem breakers to free up a pair of slots. A sub panel seems excessive in this case and if we were to go that route, I think we'd prefer the sub panel to be installed in the garage instead. Thoughts?

ftLm99F.jpeg

we're trying to add a 14-50 outlet to the garage for my parents MYLR.
I think you may get this question from others too, but:
Why?
With all of the extra junk and cost and nuisance required for doing receptacles for EV charging now, it's about the same price and less trouble to just do a wall connector instead of a 14-50 outlet now. Installing a receptacle requires that it use a GFCI breaker, which is very expensive and very finnicky and prone to nuisance tripping.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
Curious to get some opinions here since we're trying to add a 14-50 outlet to the garage for my parents MYLR. As you can see, the panel is full and located in the basement just adjacent and below to the attached garage. We already have a conduit from one of the circuits going through the garage to a split air ac unit on the second floor. There's a junction box on that circuit exactly where we'd like to place the plug in the garage. Since we're out of breakers, the person who helped install the split air units suggested that we add a small sub panel directly next to this panel but I was hoping we could combine some of the remaining circuits by adding more tandem breakers to free up a pair of slots. A sub panel seems excessive in this case and if we were to go that route, I think we'd prefer the sub panel to be installed in the garage instead. Thoughts?

View attachment 1011559
My advice is to have your parents obtain bids from NY licensed electricians preferably from the Tesla website that are experienced in installing the Tesla Wall Charger. Obtain the proper permits and inspection. Forget the 14-50. The existing 100 amp panel above needs to be upgraded to 200 amp.
One of the nice things the Tesla Wall charger offers is allowing your parents to charge off peak without worrying about burning down the house and setting the departure time and temperature so they get into a warm vehicle on cold mornings.

Attachments

• Tesla Garage Charger IMG_7806.JPG
    Tesla Garage Charger IMG_7806.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 23
You need to do a load analysis if you haven't already to see if/how much additional capacity that 100 amp service panel can accommodate. If you are not familiar with that process have your electrician do it. I doubt you have capacity for a 14-50 EV continuous load and are likely looking at an upgrade to a 200 amp service. You might be able to squeeze a 20 amp 240v plug which might be enough to get you by.

Unfortunately, that panel is maxed out load wise. On a 100A panel, you've got 100A of 240V loads plus misc. 120V loads. I wouldn't add any more loads, especially 240V ones. Given that appears to be the main panel (since it says "main"), you might be looking at a panel or service upgrade. Hope only a panel upgrade.

And yes, don't do a receptacle, do a hardwired Tesla Wall Connector.

In addition to the good advice above, you can do a load analysis yourself:

Download this app and do it yourself.

I have found two things: most electrical systems have lots of excess capacity and those that don't have excess capacity are often grossly overloaded.

If your capacity is limited, before you upgrade to a 200 amp service, consider that a 20 or 30 amp 240 volt EV charging circuit, with either 16 or 24 amp charging, would possibly not overload your existing 100 amp service. Even at these levels of charging, it is very likely that your parents MYLR will recover to 80% SOC overnight unless they are driving 250 miles a day.

You also need to consider time of day rates. For example, if you are getting a very low rate during a very limited time frame, then you may need to charge at more than the charging rates discussed in the above paragraph.

I definitely would install a Tesla Wall Connector as opposed to a 14-50. About the same cost when you consider that you do not need a GFCI breaker. GFCI breakers are not available in tandem configurations which you will need with your panel situation.

No need to install a sub panel.

The Tesla Wall Connector can be configured for 15, 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 amp breakers and circuits.

The actual charging amps will be 80% of the breaker's capacity.

From what you said, it sounds like you may want to install a circuit for the 14-50 (preferably a Tesla Wall Connector) through the same conduit as the wiring for the spilt air conditioner. If you do that you have to consider if the conduit is large enough to add some additional wires, and then consider detrating the wires for more than 4 current carrying conductors in the conduit.