Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 outlet installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to dump this pic somewhere for everyone's attention, don't use a 14-50 receptacle. I guess the more expensive ones are better but I would just not do it. This was with a 40a Juicebox.

i-t7H2HSR-X2.jpg
What brand name is on that receptacle ?

Just wanted to dump this pic somewhere for everyone's attention, don't use a 14-50 receptacle. I guess the more expensive ones are better but I would just not do it. This was with a 40a Juicebox.

i-t7H2HSR-X2.jpg
Looks like another basic Leviton 14-50, which only has relatively full contact on one side. If you open the cover you should be able to see the brand and if you look inside the contacts (a picture taken straight on should show it), it only has half size steel contacts (other brands even the cheap Pass and Seymour/Legrand have full size brass contacts).

Point mentioned by others (that it gets hot even with 30A charging, much less 40A).
Comparison of contacts (Leviton in bottom):
81de81d6-a971-4fb1-b571-1ff4f33b17e8-jpeg.481431

But just from the markings on the black plastic it looks like a Leviton to me:
1676399325256.png

So looks like another case not to use a Leviton 14-50, not necessarily not to use a 14-50 altogether. They are pretty clearly the worst choice you can get for EV charging with a 14-50.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and KJD
I asked my electrician to buy me a Bryant 9450fr, but he showed up with an Eaton Arrow Hart 5754N - assured me it was just as good, a commercial grade receptacle. Local electrical supply does not stock Hubbell or Bryant (contractors won't pony up for them anymore since prices skyrocketed?) From the reviews I've read the Arrow Hart is definitely not a cheap residential 14-50, so I guess I'll go with it.

Last edited:
I asked my electrician to buy me a Bryant 9450fr, but he showed up with an Eaton Arrow Hart 5454N - assured me it was just as good, a commercial grade receptacle. Local electrical supply does not stock Hubbell or Bryant (contractors won't pony up for them anymore since prices skyrocketed?) From the reviews I've read the Arrow Hart is definitely not a cheap residential 14-50, so I guess I'll go with it.
Why not just order it on Grainger or directly from Hubbell/Bryant and have your electrician install the receptacle you supply? That's what I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD and zroger73
I asked my electrician to buy me a Bryant 9450fr, but he showed up with an Eaton Arrow Hart 5454N - assured me it was just as good, a commercial grade receptacle. Local electrical supply does not stock Hubbell or Bryant (contractors won't pony up for them anymore since prices skyrocketed?) From the reviews I've read the Arrow Hart is definitely not a cheap residential 14-50, so I guess I'll go with it.
Grainger is the only one that appears to carry the Bryant at a reasonable price. Their current listing has it incorrectly listed as a 14-30, but people say it's still a 14-50.

I presume you mean the 5754N (also branded under Cooper previously)? If so that is still an industrial/commercial style outlet. You can tell by the larger diameter 2.465" (this requiring different face plates). The residential ones have a smaller 2.15" diameter.

Cooper 5754N is the second one (second from left) in the main thread discussing options:

Reactions: Midpack
I asked my electrician to buy me a Bryant 9450fr, but he showed up with an Eaton Arrow Hart 5454N - assured me it was just as good, a commercial grade receptacle. From the reviews I've read the Arrow Hart is definitely not a cheap residential 14-50, so I guess I'll go with it.
I assume you mean 5754N?

While that is one of two receptacles specifically recommended by Tesla in one of the Mobile Connector installation guides (the other being the Hubbell 9450A), the terminal screws have slotted heads with a 25 inch-lb torque specification instead of internal hex heads with a 75 inch-lb torque specification.

Based on what I've learned:

BEST - Hubbell 9450A (or Bryant 9450FR)
BETTER - Eaton 5754N
AVOID - everything else

I will say of the ones to avoid, the Pass & Seymour/Legrand 3894CC6 does have a much better wire terminal design than the Leviton and some others.

I ordered the 9450FR from Grainger for $45.88+tax (no shipping through our Grainger account at work) and a faceplate from Amazon.

Yes, meant 5754N, corrected earlier post. Mine is 2.465" in diameter, so it must be the one you're referring to - thanks. I wasn't going to pony up $150+ for a Hubbell, so I am satisfied with the Cooper/Eaton Arrow Hart 5754N.

Although the Hubbell and Bryant receptacles appear identical in form, fit, and function, I wondered if there might be some hidden difference in materials or construction that would make the Bryant version inferior in some way.

So, for my own curiosity I just called Bryant technical support and asked these questions. The representative said that they preferred to sell the more expensive Hubbell version (obviously), but confirmed that there was no difference in the specifications, materials, or construction between the two - they are essentially "the same receptacle" sold under two different brand names.

The only difference I've noticed is that the Hubbell version has the brand name molded into the receptacle while the Bryant version has the brand name stamped into the mounting strap. To me, this suggests that the two versions are made using different molds and stamping presses - possibly even in different locations, but that the "important parts" are the same.

Although the Hubbell and Bryant receptacles appear identical in form, fit, and function, I wondered if there might be some hidden difference in materials or construction that would make the Bryant version inferior in some way.

So, for my own curiosity I just called Bryant technical support and asked these questions. The representative said that they preferred to sell the more expensive Hubbell version (obviously), but confirmed that there was no difference in the specifications, materials, or construction between the two - they are essentially "the same receptacle" sold under two different brand names.

The only difference I've noticed is that the Hubbell version has the brand name molded into the receptacle while the Bryant version has the brand name stamped into the mounting strap. To me, this suggests that the two versions are made using different molds and stamping presses - possibly even in different locations, but that the "important parts" are the same.
I remember the only technical difference others pointed out is the hex wrench size is slightly different, but everything else looks practically identical.

I remember the only technical difference others pointed out is the hex wrench size is slightly different, but everything else looks practically identical.
The Hubbell instructions say to use a 3/16" Allen wrench for the terminals and that's exactly the size of hex bit that fit the Bryant version I bought from Grainger a couple of weeks ago. Maybe they were different at one time?

The Hubbell instructions say to use a 3/16" Allen wrench for the terminals and that's exactly the size of hex bit that fit the Bryant version I bought from Grainger a couple of weeks ago. Maybe they were different at one time?
The first post in the thread mentioned it and it looks different from the pictures, although they didn't explicitly try and it's possible they changed it later.

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73
Yuck! The contacts inside did not appear to be copper and I didn't like how the wires came out of the back. The terminals didn't inspire much confidence.
For completeness, the contacts are probably brass, at least one of them. I recently replaced my Leviton 14-50 which worked fine for 2 years. With two EVs now (MY and EUV), I noticed that my ChargePoint plug was abnormally hot after a few hrs of charging. I retightened the terminals to spec, but it didn't help. Max temp on the side of the CP plug was 155F, which was uncomfortably warm. Replaced with Hubbell and max temperature has dropped to 115F. Like others have noted, the inexpensive Leviton 14-50 internals are simply cheaper to maintain that price point. They're using a steel screw and steel threaded fitting to push a 6 AWG wire against a flat brass surface. That's inferior to how the more expensive outlets work, but presumably meets the intended uses, just not long-duration EV charging.

Attachments

• Leviton 14-50.png
    Leviton 14-50.png
    3 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
For completeness, the contacts are copper, at least one of them. I recently replaced my Leviton 14-50 which worked fine for 2 years. With two EVs now (MY and EUV), I noticed that my ChargePoint plug was abnormally hot after a few hrs of charging. I retightened the terminals to spec, but it didn't help. Max temp on the side of the CP plug was 155F, which was uncomfortably warm. Replaced with Hubbell and max temperature has dropped to 115F. Like others have noted, the inexpensive Leviton 14-50 internals are simply cheaper to maintain that price point. They're using a steel screw and steel threaded fitting to push a 6 AWG wire against a flat copper surface. That's inferior to how the more expensive outlets work, but presumably meets the intended uses, just not long-duration EV charging.
Looks like tin-plated or nickle-plated brass if it's not magnetic. From the outside it looks like steel, but I guess it's not. The other problem is the contacts are not tight enough together vs the other outlets. I suppose that makes it easier to plug in, but it may mean weaker connection.

Reactions: MDElectric
Looks like tin-plated or nickle-plated brass if it's not magnetic. From the outside it looks like steel, but I guess it's not. The other problem is the contacts are not tight enough together vs the other outlets. I suppose that makes it easier to plug in, but it may mean weaker connection.
Yes, agree. I was in the middle of correcting when you commented. Wow, you guys are fast! I will say that I don't notice that the Hubbell is tighter, which surprised me from all the earlier comments. But temp is noticeably down, which makes me feel better.

Amazon Prime carries the

Bryant Electric 9450FR 50 Amp 125/250V NEMA 14-50R​

for $49

Glad Amazon does it now, but it was at much higher price previously given it was only offered by third parties on Amazon:
Bryant 9450FR Industrial Grade 50 Amp NEMA 14-50 Receptacle, Made in USA, Single Flush, 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding 125/250V, Black
Looks like Amazon just carried it last month:
Bryant Electric 9450FR 50 Amp 125/250V NEMA 14-50R Flush Straight Blade Receptacle, Black

Glad Amazon does it now, but it was at much higher price previously given it was only offered by third parties on Amazon:
Bryant 9450FR Industrial Grade 50 Amp NEMA 14-50 Receptacle, Made in USA, Single Flush, 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding 125/250V, Black
Looks like Amazon just carried it last month:
Bryant Electric 9450FR 50 Amp 125/250V NEMA 14-50R Flush Straight Blade Receptacle, Black
+1. I checked Hubbell and Bryant when my install was done in Feb, and they were both quite a bit more then.