Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Tire and Wheel Combination for Maximum Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lighter the better really, go for a set of 19" rims. Not sure how much range you will notice though. Tsportline a vendor here has nice factory spec rims. I got 20" off them in grey, really like them.

My referral if you like for $50 off
T Sportline - Tesla Model S, X & 3 Aftermarket Accessories
Thanks for the input. I've been thinking along those lines. Did you use your tires or get rims with new tires? Rolling resistance is important for increasing range?

So the fixation with rim diameter and range around here is misguided.

For the X the factory 20" slipstream is likely about as good as you will get in real world use. Light weight wheels might help some in stop and go driving but if range is a big concern the aerodynamics of the slipstream are going to be more important to long range steady state cruise.

Then you need a LRR tire and I unaware of a standard that let's you compare and figure out what is most efficient. Someone will likely say higher tread wear rating but since there is no cross brand standard for that they would be wrong.

Back to the rim size thing, a majority around here equate rim size directly to efficiency without any real understanding. Drawing the conclusion that 22" rims hurt efficiency because that PACKAGE hurts efficiency is about as reasonable as saying the 42psi setting for the 22" package is to blame vs the 40psi for the 20s.
Ultra low profile tires are generally made to improve cornering traction, the tall rim.short sidewall reduces sidewall flex. As such these are performance tires that have higher rolling resistance, even within a model or tire tread patters do change to fit a size and rubber compounds can change too. Heck maybe the extra room inside the rim around the brakes comprises aerodynamics vs. the 20" we don't really know.

What we do know is steady state, weight, the item everyone fixates on plays almost no roll.

So the fixation with rim diameter and range around here is misguided.

For the X the factory 20" slipstream is likely about as good as you will get in real world use. Light weight wheels might help some in stop and go driving but if range is a big concern the aerodynamics of the slipstream are going to be more important to long range steady state cruise.

Then you need a LRR tire and I unaware of a standard that let's you compare and figure out what is most efficient. Someone will likely say higher tread wear rating but since there is no cross brand standard for that they would be wrong.

Back to the rim size thing, a majority around here equate rim size directly to efficiency without any real understanding. Drawing the conclusion that 22" rims hurt efficiency because that PACKAGE hurts efficiency is about as reasonable as saying the 42psi setting for the 22" package is to blame vs the 40psi for the 20s.
Ultra low profile tires are generally made to improve cornering traction, the tall rim.short sidewall reduces sidewall flex. As such these are performance tires that have higher rolling resistance, even within a model or tire tread patters do change to fit a size and rubber compounds can change too. Heck maybe the extra room inside the rim around the brakes comprises aerodynamics vs. the 20" we don't really know.

What we do know is steady state, weight, the item everyone fixates on plays almost no roll.
Oh no. More confusion but, thanks for info to think about. Probably should just go for the looks and be happy with that. Thanks again for taking the trouble to explain, I do appreciate that.

I think it depends on what your looking for. If you are looking for and what kind of driving you do. Personally I like my factory 20s over my 22's.becuse I do alot of traveling and towing. My 20s are a smoother ride and I get better mileage out of them. Although I have to say my 22's look better and hadle much better when i'm speeding around town...lol. it a pain in the butt to keep changing them out. So I my next project is to get my factory wheels powder coated and do a body wrap and do my boat the same colors.

received_2197344317019641.jpeg
received_2359005517492029.jpeg

Reviving this old thread. I have a 2020 (Raven) MXLR+ and the 22" tires are about to die. I'm looking to replace them with smaller rim wheels + tires. Reasoning is that 22" performance tires are generally more expensive and have shorter lifespan. Along with the reduction in range.

What's a recommended combo of tires + wheels? I'm after:
1. Longer tire lifespan
2. Better highway efficiency
3. Do not care about looks
4. Be able to use the same tires in winter and summer (all season?)

I see these by TST (TST 19" Tesla Model X Long Range & Plaid Wheel (Set of 4)) but the website says it's for 2021 MX's and above. Any idea why that may be?