Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way for a long term loan of our Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

16S90D

No longer a 2016…
Feb 20, 2022
USA
We are (most likely) going to loan our 2020 Model Y out to a family member. We will retain the title, but they will register and insure it in their state (which isn't our state). What's the best way to set this up such that they have the ability to do whatever they need to with the car, but it's still our car as far as Tesla is concerned?

We'd prefer to keep the car in our Tesla account, as we think it would just be easier ... but maybe that's not possible? And if not, how do I transfer it both to them and then back to us without having to provide some sort of sale proof to Tesla?

I know I can add additional drivers in the app, but those drivers don't have the same abilities in the app as does the owner, so I'm not sure if that will work for them or not?

Sorry for dumb questions, but while we've done this in the past with a previous ICE car, it seems a bit trickier with the Tesla; all recommendations welcomed!

-rob.

I know I can add additional drivers in the app, but those drivers don't have the same abilities in the app as does the owner, so I'm not sure if that will work for them or not?
The only thing that an additional driver cant do currently is purchase upgrades. I am not sure why that would not work for using the tesla app, etc. The only thing is a lack of privacy (on their end) since you will be able to see every place the car goes, where it is, unlock and lock doors, etc.

It sounds like red flag all over the place. Letting someone else (even family member) borrow your car in another state for extended period of time sounds like very bad idea.

I can think of a few perfectly normal situations where someone might do this, that raise zero eyebrows. One of those would be (for example) a child going away to college. If it were me, I would buy them an inexpensive vehicle vs loaning one like this, however it would be perfectly normal for someone to loan a car to their child going away to college.

There are other situations that would also not raise an eyebrow, so there doesnt need to be any red flags here. I wouldnt do it, but it sounds fairly normal to me.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
You did not mention insurance. If you have USAA Auto insurance you can lend your USAA insured vehicle to someone (this individual does not have to be a family member) for up to six months. They will be covered under your existing USAA auto insurance policy. The six months do not have to be contiguous. After 6 months time the other person would be required to obtain their own insurance for the vehicle.