Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to color T emblem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have gone through two of the tesla T logo/emblems on my hood now where I had them painted red and it (eventually) flakes off

anyone recommend a better way (cerakote? powder coating?) to get them to stay red?

Don't like the stickers since they leave a small bit of chrome showing

remove the casual chrome delete so it matches the OE emblems.... standard.

thanks for also being equally unhelpful.

If people don't have responses on better ways than paint for the emblem don't know why you are responding...if i wanted to take it off I would and I don't really care about your opinion on how good it looks for the chrome to match or for the emblem to be gone

If your paint is flaking off the people that did failed to prep the emblem properly or are using sub-par product/technique.

If you want to leave it on the car, plastidip or vinyl sticker seem like the only real options. The advantage of both is it is easy to re-do/fix if issues arise down the road. If you are willing to remove the emblem (and replace with another), yes powdercoat would generally be more durable than paint. But, you really shouldn't have an issue with paint the way you are experiencing. Another option would be to have the emblem painted traditionally and them put die cut clear PPF on the emblem. I'm sure there are other solutions but you have to get to the root problem on why your paint is flaking off in the first place.

I have gone through two of the tesla T logo/emblems on my hood now where I had them painted red and it (eventually) flakes off

anyone recommend a better way (cerakote? powder coating?) to get them to stay red?

Don't like the stickers since they leave a small bit of chrome showing

I dont have an answer for "how" but I had my chrome delete done by "SD wrap" down in San Diego (a pretty high end wrap shop that also has pretty high end prices). Mine isnt red, its black, but I have had the car since dec 2018 and the emblem still looks like the day they put it on.

I know they remove them and "do something" with them, then put them back on. I think they powder coat them. Might be worth taking a trip over there to see how much they would charge you to just do the emblems for you, if they would do that.

thanks for also being equally unhelpful. If people don't have responses on better ways than paint for the emblem don't know why you are responding...if i wanted to take it off I would and I don't really care about your opinion on how good it looks for the chrome to match or for the emblem to be gone
Ah, how refreshing. Your question and this thread, betrays a particular level of noob and inability to deal, but I digress..

Aside from what's already been suggested, you should look into liquid wrap solutions. And no, not plastidip and similar of a decade ago. Try Autoflex or Autoflex Express, Sprayshield, etc.

You can then have a shop that knows what they're doing (and who will charge accordingly) liquid wrap your emblems however you'd like and top off with a layer of liquid PPF (in any finish).

This can be done on or off car, and stands up just as good if not better than OE paint covered by PPF vs rocks, sand, salt, washes and age wear-n-tear. Easily reversable if/when you sell or trade in this car.

Reactions: Burrito
I dont have an answer for "how" but I had my chrome delete done by "SD wrap" down in San Diego (a pretty high end wrap shop that also has pretty high end prices). Mine isnt red, its black, but I have had the car since dec 2018 and the emblem still looks like the day they put it on.

I know they remove them and "do something" with them, then put them back on. I think they powder coat them. Might be worth taking a trip over there to see how much they would charge you to just do the emblems for you, if they would do that.

I had mine done by 5 point auto spa, and everything else they have put on the car has been great. Don't know why they have struggled with the paint so much, might be worth contacting SD wrap once covid is over.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin