TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Best way to invest in TSLA from the UK

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by TE5LA, Feb 28, 2017.

1. TE5LA

TE5LA Member

Having moved back from the US to the UK, i can not use my old etrade account anymore.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good UK based trading account with low fees? i'm not interested in the ISA options. I just want to be able to trade NASDAQ and TSLA with low fees?

any ideas? most seem to have high charges and wide spreads on exchange rates. I've seen that TD will allow you to hold USD in an account so you only get hit on the exchange rate when you go into and out of that?

are there better ones? thanks!

2. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

Personally I use interactive brokers.

From what I have heard, this broker seems to be popular with members of TMC.

Low fees and good execution. The trading platform takes getting used to because it is very powerful.

3. TE5LA

TE5LA Member

Thanks Johann. When you sell any holdings do they convert you money back from USD to GBP each time?
    I'll check them out though - thanks for the tip

4. TE5LA

TE5LA Member

Does anybody have any experience with TD Direct Investing (www.tddirectinvesting.co.uk/share-dealing). Note they are different from TD international.

Their rates are tiered and flat whether trading in UK or US (Active (£5.95), Frequent (£8.95) or Standard (£12.50))
    It also appears that you can have a multi currency account so don't need to get hit by their 1.5% currency spread on each trade.

Again any experience welcomed. I'll probably be an active trader will small gains.

5. tentonine

tentonine Member

Interactive Brokers will allow you to hold any currency in your account.

6. TE5LA

TE5LA Member

I'm finding IB fees confusing (sure its just user error). But just buying US shares, it looks like it would be USD 0.005 per share bought with a min fee of 1USD. Which seems pretty cheap.

Is that it?

Are there fees to move money in and out? what about general account charges?

7. geneclean55

geneclean55 Active Member

My understanding is that IB is pretty cheap as long as you are a somewhat active trader.

• Helpful x 1
  8. SwTslaGrl

SwTslaGrl Member