Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to remove center wheel hub on uncovered Aeros

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not buy the Tesla Model 3 kit for this (sold out); I bought the Model S version which are the same size but do not come with a removal tool.
Ideas for how to remove them so I can install the Aero wheel covers for road trips?
Thanks.

• Disagree
Reactions: FUSKED
I did not buy the Tesla Model 3 kit for this (sold out); I bought the Model S version which are the same size but do not come with a removal tool.
Ideas for how to remove them so I can install the Aero wheel covers for road trips?
Thanks.

The tool included is to remove the lug nut covers which do not need to be removed to re-install the aero cover. To remove the center cap, I bought a suction cup tool from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015T58AUW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(You should also have a lug nut cover removal in case you need to remove the lug nuts)

• Helpful
Reactions: suwaneedad
Wouldn't you want one for each wheel? :p
I always find it funny that people who are willing to plunk down over 50k (Model 3) or 100k (Model S) stress out over a few bucks.

The reason I went with that one on Amazon was that the guy who posted it on the Tesla forum said it was exactly the right size.
Any smaller and it would not seal because of the inset T logo. Any larger and it would be bigger than the cap Itself.
So a very tight tolerance to work properly.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: darknavi and fr100
Don’t know why anyone disagreed with you there. I bought a bunch off Alibaba a while ago. Same ones. They are perfect sized. If anyone local, or at next meetup, wants one just lemme know. I can just post them. Not after money. PM if you need.

They work on s,E, and X. There’s a trick using rolled-up duct tape that works for the 3 center caps, though the 21” wheels on S it never would.

Reactions: Daniellane
I removed my center caps for the first time yesterday using a "lighter duty" suction cup, also from a screen repair kit from iFixit. Although it took a few tries on each wheel I was able to get them all out using this method. Much better than the one youtube video I saw of a guy using a roll of duct tape, with a bunch of tape rolled into a ball stuck to the roll.

Reactions: Daniellane