Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Wishes and Good Luck to All!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to be a pill, but I'm pretty low on tact these days.

So here goes: Have you considered the planetary-scale consequences of your decision? Seriously. We have oh so many grossly ill-informed people, some in very high places, that have absolutely no clue about the consequences of pulling up to a gas pump and buying gas, which then gets turned into GHG's. (Or they just don't give a s**t because their pockets are lined by the fossil-fuel industry.)

The most recent National Climate Assessment report just came out last week, and it's pretty damning, but what is worse is the response from the head of the EPA:

Trump administration releases report finding ‘no convincing alternative explanation’ for climate change

Exclusive: EPA's Pruitt vows to continue rolling back rules despite alarming climate report

So my questions is: Why not get your reservation back and be a part of the solution? Who cares about a 3-month delay given the scale of the problem?

So let me be straight up: Knowing what you know, or should know, if you want to look your children and grandchildren in the eye, how can you buy another ICE vehicle?

"Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want."
--Anna Lappe

Why not vote for leaving a usable planet?

Thanks.

p.s. Elon has stated the scale of the issue quite clearly: Even if we were to magically flip a switch and convert 100% of global car and truck production to EV's tomorrow (about 95 million per year), it would STILL TAKE 20 YEARS to replace the current global vehicle fleet. Our planet does not have that kind of time. Now, more than ever, we need individual leadership. Where is yours?

I don't think you're a "pill" at all and take your comments with the sincerity with which you offered them, and don't disagree with the greater goal. My interest in EVs remains undeterred. This is a matter of logistics for the immediate future and actually living (or not) where the car would be delivered and where it is needed when it finally arrives. It's not a replacement in our household "fleet"...it's an addition in a different location. In this case, the seemingly small delay would actually be a year until the next time I would be residing in the delivery city, and I need something sooner. I can't quite make the case for spending that much even for a Bolt or Leaf for the sake of one more ownership cycle. I admit to some conflict between the ideals many of us share and the current realities of logistics, but in my case, with the latest slippage in production and delivery, this solution is not feasible at this time for me. Next time, and to be honest, my increasing concerns about quality also suggest, for me, waiting one more time is the better path forward. Hope this all works out well for you.

"Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want."
--Anna Lappe

I agree with this 100%. That's why I will not buy another ICE car. Ever. That said, I probably won't be buying the Model 3, either. I'll just nurse the current fleet along until the right product to meet my mission and tastes shows up.
I don't think it will take long.
Robin

Understandable......
MS owners and we had 2 m3 reservations. They were for my wife and daughter. My wife cancelled her's and we bought a 2012 Porsche Panamera turbo with warranty. Cost about 10k more than her m3 would have but she absolutely loves it. We will keep 2nd reservation and wait it out for our daughter's.

Sportstick, best of luck with whatever you end up with. Haven't been really reading many threads here so not fully understanding your situation, but as I'm now too waiting in line like others here for an M3 and have a 16 yr old Toyota Avalon that I hope makes it until the M3 would be delivered, waiting and how long the wait has been something I've thought about. In my case since we do tend to keep cars over 6 years and with cost of cars in general, I really don't want to buy something I'm going to feel I'm settling on for long term use should the Avalon die and get too costly to repair. Figure we either end up sharing our MS which in our case could be done with some inconvenience for a short period of time or maybe we'd just pick up another older car that we'd just trade in when the time comes.

One thing I know after driving our MS is that I won't go back to driving an ICE longer than I really have to. The other thing is that because I really have fallen in love driving our MS (never before cared this much about the car I have) I'm only interested in another Tesla. I just like the whole package and don't want to regret not getting a second Tesla.

Cancelling on a M3 in my case would only happen if hubby decided to upgrade our 75D and make it our second car. I don't see that happening until Tesla would drastically improve the battery range on the MS which probably won't happen until the M3s are being more readily shipped. But you never know. We've only done a few 300+mile trips so far so it's not like the range for long distance driving is critical to us and Tesla is dramatically expanding the SCs so probably not really a big factor down the road. Of course an accident could mess up any plans as well but we won't think about that scenario unless it happens.

Let us know what you end up with and if after buying it you have any regrets about cancelling and not figuring out some other path in the meantime.

Reactions: Dr. J
I don't think you're a "pill" at all and take your comments with the sincerity with which you offered them, and don't disagree with the greater goal. My interest in EVs remains undeterred. This is a matter of logistics for the immediate future and actually living (or not) where the car would be delivered and where it is needed when it finally arrives. It's not a replacement in our household "fleet"...it's an addition in a different location. In this case, the seemingly small delay would actually be a year until the next time I would be residing in the delivery city, and I need something sooner. I can't quite make the case for spending that much even for a Bolt or Leaf for the sake of one more ownership cycle. I admit to some conflict between the ideals many of us share and the current realities of logistics, but in my case, with the latest slippage in production and delivery, this solution is not feasible at this time for me. Next time, and to be honest, my increasing concerns about quality also suggest, for me, waiting one more time is the better path forward. Hope this all works out well for you.

Sportstick,

Thanks for taking my thoughts and concerns well; it's rare that people can keep things on an adult level when being challenged.

How about this for a third path: pick up someone's lease off of SwapaLease.com (or equivalent sites)? It's still not really being part of the solution, but it's at least not buying another ICE vehicle.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't also recommend a Model S, either as a new order or an inventory car. Either one would make a positive difference.

In our case, we paid over two and half time MORE than we'd ever paid for any car, on our first Tesla back in 2013: about $100k for a new '13 Model S 85. We did this on principle--if we didn't care enough to support Tesla, why should anyone else?

Tesla is NOT just a car company, but a collection of individuals committed to changing the world for the better by transitioning the planet to sustainability. When you buy some other brand, it directly supports the enemies of that goal.

The evidence of the risks we face is massive and growing; there's no excuse to be unaware of them. (See previous links, and climate.nasa.gov, preferably before it's removed from the web.) Given that this is our only planet, and the threat is both urgent and important, I have trouble getting past your reservations.

Success for our planet relies on intelligent people making good choices; we're not seeing a lot of that in government, at all. So it's on ALL of us to step up and personally lead, no?

Thanks.

Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and with a basic understanding of how the world works. --Carl Sagan

I just clicked on "Cancel My Reservation" for reasons discussed on more than one thread here. Sincere good luck and best wishes to those who hang in there. Maybe next purchase cycle for me, but meanwhile, I'll make do for another few years with a new ICE vehicle while Tesla establishes some quality track record with M3. Enjoyed much of the reading and chat...many smart and nice folks here....a few others best described with a few initials, but such is the internet. Many happy miles and years to all! :)
Bummer. There's no way I would go back to an ice at this point. At least you won't know what you are Missing.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
At least you won't know what you are Missing.

I am not surprised by some of the disagreement with my decision, but please don't presume I am ignorant. I've had this deposit in place for 19 months, learning much along the way, fully prepared to take delivery of this car, and familiar with the EV experience as provided by (oversized/overpriced) Model S. I know what I am missing with my decision...both the wide array of "pros" in which I had hoped to participate, as well as a late delivery which would leave me without a car while I am in a new location, and then arrive after I am no longer there, and which I am increasingly convinced will require too much time for correction of early build issues.

"You can be part of the solution, regardless of cost or inconvenience, or you be part of the problem." (anon)
This!

It's quite easy for far too many to simply select from a list of excuses why they "pass" on making a difference.

Sadly, we should all worry for our planet's future when people that have both the means, and the intelligence, to lead, choose to abdicate the responsibilities that come with wealth and knowledge.

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: T34ME and DR61
"Regardless of cost or inconvenience".

Wow.

I suppose in every movement, there is the "holier than thou" contingent, along with their "amen chorus". With such purity, I imagine they eschew supporting/consuming any cattle products, beef or leather, so not to support methane-producing, fertilized, high-volume plant consuming animals; they never travel by air, burning jet fuel, no less supporting the production of aluminum for the fuselage; they never have any vehicle produced with sludge-creating paint from the spraying process in the booth or containing rubber for hoses, door seals nor tires, with all of its environmental effects in production....."Regardless of cost or inconvenience". I'm not even sure why they are here considering a Tesla, as this philosophy should have them walking....barefoot...instead of supporting the effects of yet another collection of raw materials being transformed into an automobile, taking some degree of toll on the planet. Eons of our predecessors lived their lives before the invention of the motor vehicle...why not now, to return to a cleaner existence?

If that seems extreme, I agree. Which inevitably means we all draw the line someplace above "Regardless of cost or inconvenience". Where we each draw that line varies. I drew the line at a source of a relatively less toxic vehicle stumbling in production, which cannot deliver the needed product when it is needed, and who seems more likely than before to produce early products with more repair issues. If waiting another ownership cycle to reduce my footprint demonizes me, so be it. I have no pretense to such purity as espoused by some here. Time for self-appointed "saints" to climb down off that high horse. Your effect is opposite your goal...you merely push people away from your intended result.

Last edited:
best move, convert
"You can be part of the solution, regardless of cost or inconvenience, or you be part of the problem." (anon)

You quote this, but how many of us still drive an ICE to this day, beasue we are waiting for a model 3? There are other EVs you could have bought long ago. Dont like the offerings of other manufacturers? Convert your ICE to an EV like im doing; Its cheaper than a model 3. Dont want to do that? Ride a bike or walk everywhere. Talk is cheap, people.

"Regardless of cost or inconvenience".

Where we each draw that line varies. I drew the line at a source of a relatively less toxic vehicle stumbling in production, which cannot deliver the needed product when it is needed, and who seems more likely than before to produce early products with more repair issues. If waiting another ownership cycle to reduce my footprint demonizes me, so be it. I have no pretense to such purity as espoused by some here. Time for self-appointed "saints" to climb down off that high horse. Your effect is opposite your goal...you merely push people away from your intended result.

You have obviously given your situation a great deal of thought, and your response to preachy posts that verge on bullying is as anti-inflammatory as anyone could wish. Good on ya.

By our very presence in this community, we (okay, most) indicate at least a passing interest in helping to make our world a better place. This has grown to be quite a large and diverse group, with varying priorities, based on situations that aren't necessarily shared by all. I implore those who would push people away with their brow-beating ways to consider that a seed planted will grow stronger when nurtured, rather than stomped on.

Be well, Sportstick, and I hope we see you again, when your situation (and Tesla's) makes Tesla Model Whatever the right choice for you.

Happy Friday!

Thanks to those with whom my call for less piety in judging our purchase behaviors resonated. On my way out, a couple of folks asked what I would get for this product purchase cycle instead of the M3. I've decided on another newcomer...the Kia Stinger, a fairly consistent high-quality brand, even in the launch year. From a positioning point of view, it's a BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe for ten grand less...spacious rear seat, rear liftgate, and all. And, I'm being only 2/3rds as "bad" as might have been with an ICE....choosing the 4 cylinder over the 6. Once this one runs its course, I'll be back looking at Tesla and a likely wider array of BEV choices in the market by then.
Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 9.34.00 AM.png

I just clicked on "Cancel My Reservation" for reasons discussed on more than one thread here. Sincere good luck and best wishes to those who hang in there. Maybe next purchase cycle for me, but meanwhile, I'll make do for another few years with a new ICE vehicle while Tesla establishes some quality track record with M3. Enjoyed much of the reading and chat...many smart and nice folks here....a few others best described with a few initials, but such is the internet. Many happy miles and years to all! :)

@Sportstick . If you don't mind, it will be nice that if you can share the refund process. I've searched and seen some articles saying the refund process is really pain in the butt for those reservations over 12 months. Best of luck!