Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better aftermarket tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a better aftermarket tire for a 2021 long range Model Y? I’ve had three flat tires in less than two years of ownership and I’m getting pretty tired of it. Looking for something a little more durable.

What wheels, tires, and PSI are you running at? There are a lot of factors that go into sidewall puncture risk (and yes luck matters).

I'm not really a fan of the 255/35 setup that I believe is the default for MYLR inductions, sold those off to get 245/50/18s for a few reasons but in general high pressure and thinner tires are at more risk of puncture.

Upvote 0
After 20 years with no punctures I've already had two in my right rear tire on my Tesla in less than two years.

Conclusion: electric cars are magnetic!

But I feel like the sidewall keeps getting cracked very easily, [...]
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you curbing the tires? Are they deteriorating in the sun (seems unlikely after only two years in Chicago).

I think the flats are just bad luck. Maybe partly due to the cars being so heavy.

I don't think new tires will help reduce the number of punctures. There are a lot of trade-offs getting tires for an EV: efficiency, summer traction, snow traction, wet traction, noise, durability, cost, ease of repair.

The OEM tires, Continental Pure Contact LS, are pretty decent and may be hard to beat for efficiency. The foam liner makes them difficult to repair and some shops refuse to. They seem to wear out quickly. For all season traction I've heard good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season (AS) 4. But they are pricey, less efficient, and can also wear out quickly.

If I had to get new tires, I would probably go with the General Altimax R45. They are less expensive than most, have good traction and do okay in the other categories.

Upvote 0