Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better drive units in 2022+ Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m one of those “happy” model S owners with rear drive unit issues. The rear drive unit of my 2015 model S P85DL, which I bought second hand, was replaced under warranty in 2019 around 75.000km. At the time I think it was fluid in the unit as well.

A few weeks ago the current drive unit, which is out of warranty, was having issues as well. “Vehicle my not start next time”. And after some days the rear drive unit was conpletely shut down and the car displays that it has less power and does not regenerate.

Tesla quoted me 6.700 euro for replacing the drive unit. I know it’s the coolant / seal issue and know someone who will fix it for 4.000 euro. A price which is still steep for removing the unit, replacing the 50 euro seal…..and reinstalling the unit.

The problem is, I was just planning to sell the car and buy a new Model S… I’ll have it fixed and will pay for to have it fixed before someone buys it from me, but I know have doubts if I should even buy a new Tesla.

I was looking to buy a second hand, almost new 2022 or 2023 Tesla Model S Long Range or Plaid. Can anybody tell me if Tesla has changed or improved the design of the drive units? Do these still have the seals? Will these new cars still need new units after 50.000km’s or every 3 to 4 years? That would really be absurd, as this is clearly a design flaw.

Of course electric cars are “relatively new” and I thought stuff like this was something to accept when owning somewhat early Model S. But I’m not in the market to buy a new car with new kind of issues. I’m hoping someone here will be able to provide some insight on what to expect in terms of possible issues on the new model s.

Thanks! Mich appreciated!

I’m one of those “happy” model S owners with rear drive unit issues. The rear drive unit of my 2015 model S P85DL, which I bought second hand, was replaced under warranty in 2019 around 75.000km. At the time I think it was fluid in the unit as well.

A few weeks ago the current drive unit, which is out of warranty, was having issues as well. “Vehicle my not start next time”. And after some days the rear drive unit was conpletely shut down and the car displays that it has less power and does not regenerate.

Tesla quoted me 6.700 euro for replacing the drive unit. I know it’s the coolant / seal issue and know someone who will fix it for 4.000 euro. A price which is still steep for removing the unit, replacing the 50 euro seal…..and reinstalling the unit.

The problem is, I was just planning to sell the car and buy a new Model S… I’ll have it fixed and will pay for to have it fixed before someone buys it from me, but I know have doubts if I should even buy a new Tesla.

I was looking to buy a second hand, almost new 2022 or 2023 Tesla Model S Long Range or Plaid. Can anybody tell me if Tesla has changed or improved the design of the drive units? Do these still have the seals? Will these new cars still need new units after 50.000km’s or every 3 to 4 years? That would really be absurd, as this is clearly a design flaw.

Of course electric cars are “relatively new” and I thought stuff like this was something to accept when owning somewhat early Model S. But I’m not in the market to buy a new car with new kind of issues. I’m hoping someone here will be able to provide some insight on what to expect in terms of possible issues on the new model s.

Thanks! Mich appreciated!
Former 2015 85D owner, current 2022 LR owner.

The drive units on the refresh 2021+ LR are completely different from the nose cone cars. They are similar to those used on the M3 and MY

There have been not many serious issues with the refresh cars as far as packs or motors. Drive line vibration is common, but not a serious issue for many.

Remember, the new cars have an 8 year warranty that includes HV pack degradation and motors.

I think prices may drop further. Buying now or early next year would be tempting if you can do it without financing.

Upvote 0