Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better estimated range with the latest update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Roadster drivers.

After the latest service update (mine was installed early July) I have noticed that I am regularly beating Ideal range.

Maybe my driving has changed. Maybe the tires are pumped harder, maybe they tweaked the wheel alignment, but I really do notice that on my regular 60km to 100km round trip commute driving at 120km/h or more (through traffic heavy and light) I am regularly 10, 20 or 30kms ahead of ideal.

True, I feel the Ideal range dropped noticeably when they did the update in 2012 (I used to get 306km to 309km and for the last year I've been getting 280 ish on standard charge, so maybe its just that they are dropping Ideal down making it easier to beat, but its something I wanted to share to see if others felt the same.

Cheers

I have a feeling your battery pack recalibrated which would give you a higher CAC and better ideal miles / estimation. The latest firmware update, which was very long ago (years) actually dropped the range. Possibly there's different firmware versions/drops between US/EU but I don't think the root functionality would change... reason being it turns into a major test overhead for Tesla as well as resources to support it. You can dump the firmware versions by downloading your logs and using the vmsparser utility.

Last edited:
I have a feeling your battery pack recalibrated which would give you a higher CAC and better ideal miles / estimation. The latest firmware update, which was very long ago (years) actually dropped the range. Possibly there's different firmware versions/drops between US/EU but I don't think the root functionality would change... reason being it turns into a major test overhead for Tesla as well as resources to support it. You can dump the firmware versions by downloading your logs and using the vmsparser utility.

Firmware is 4.6.5 and was updated Sept 2012.

The Ideal hasn't changed from the lower value after the 2012 firmware update. It's my ability to beat the ideal range that seems to have changed since the July Service. No complaints of course... right now for instance after racing up and down Madrid in the heat and traffic with the roof off I am at 272kms estimated versus 238 ideal. I think I need to check if I can really do those kms... maybe it'll run out before zero.

I suppose it's probably just that I'm getting older and more sensible in my driving :wink:

Thanks for the feedback...

When you find out, let us know the secret. I noticed that tires make a big difference. When I switched to Mich Pilot Super Sports on the rear I started getting better range, especially in the rain. Did you get new tires at your last service?

Firmware is 4.6.5 and was updated Sept 2012.

The Ideal hasn't changed from the lower value after the 2012 firmware update. It's my ability to beat the ideal range that seems to have changed since the July Service. No complaints of course... right now for instance after racing up and down Madrid in the heat and traffic with the roof off I am at 272kms estimated versus 238 ideal. I think I need to check if I can really do those kms... maybe it'll run out before zero.

I suppose it's probably just that I'm getting older and more sensible in my driving :wink:

Thanks for the feedback...

When you find out, let us know the secret. I noticed that tires make a big difference. When I switched to Mich Pilot Super Sports on the rear I started getting better range, especially in the rain. Did you get new tires at your last service?

I'm on Mitchelins too... good point. Mind you I changed them a while ago and they are in fact almost slick.... time to change them.