Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better to Lease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since a lease option is being offered for the Model S, I've been thinking that this might be the better way to go. Rapid improvements in battery technology, motors, and assorted e-gadgets are inevitable. Being a tech junkie, I'm compelled to buy a new computer or iPhone every 2 years... I hate to think how I would feel about a 2 year old Model S!

You bring up an interesting point with respect to the consumption of electronics and automobiles. When it come to technology like cell phones, computers, TVs, etc... the consumption rate it quite high (getting a new phone every year I don't get though).

To me, something like the Model S would be comparable to any gearhead's love for older / vintage cars (be it muscle, classic, or exotic). The idea of consuming automobiles at a much higher rate via leasing options doesn't seem like a good one when you consider the materials, energy, and other resources required.

If / when I get a Model S, I intend to buy, keep, and add to my future collection of EVs.

Hmm, I typically buy, but with a car like this (that I won't be heavily modding etc), it might be a good idea

I own an 08 BMW 535 which I brought to Dinan for mods...intend to keep.

I don't think any performance mods on the Model S such as ECU reprogramming or drive train modification would ever be possible without totally voiding the warranty. If a faster, better Model S were to come along in 2-3 years I'll want it.

I own an 08 BMW 535 which I brought to Dinan for mods...intend to keep.

I don't think any performance mods on the Model S such as ECU reprogramming or drive train modification would ever be possible without totally voiding the warranty. If a faster, better Model S were to come along in 2-3 years I'll want it.

Exactly.. I can't see installing any intakes or turbos on this sucker :biggrin:

I guess it's always possible that future upgrades can be done via software and a few hardware changes. Also possible you'll be able to buy parts from TM and upgrade things yourself... but with a company like this and a product like this, the aftermarket market will be pretty dry, which means other than some headlight mods or painting sidemarkers body color, there's not much to be done.

Suspension

I'm usually most interested in suspension modifications. It looks like the Roadster comes with coil-overs right off the assembly line, but I wonder if we'll find more common (and cheaper) struts in the S.

3648541902_b9e2a3747b_m.jpg

And then there's the power steering (not sure I'll want to leave it in there, but then again those are *huge* wheels.) It's always more fun to feel the road without the dampening fluid pressure. Plus you can save some battery power by getting rid of that electric pump!

3488103831_4d39d98512_m.jpg

There's always something that picky customers will want to change. On another note, I wonder if leasing could ever be all that profitable to Tesla, or if they'd consider it advertisement (getting more cars out there).