Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware Ebay Tesla Wall chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A word of warning about Ebay Tesla Gen 3 chargers sold by Discount_xxx. Tesla has confirmed to me that they are defective chargers that have been replaced under warranty, and they are trying to pass them off as reconditioned usable chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and rwojo
A word of warning about Ebay Tesla Gen 3 chargers sold by Discount_xxx. Tesla has confirmed to me that they are defective chargers that have been replaced under warranty, and they are trying to pass them off as reconditioned usable chargers.
If they were replaced under warranty, then they had to have passed through Tesla's hands... does this mean that Tesla sold them for scrapping / recycling, but the buyer did not actually scrap / recycle them?

Reactions: kavyboy
At least some HPWC owners were given replacement chargers with no specific requirement that the old charger get returned, or maybe they ignored the return request. I think that's how it was in the early days of the overheating replacement campaign. In some cases, the defective HPWC is good until 24 amps or more. I'm actually pretty surprised the old(now retired) HPWCs aren't put on some sort of blacklist that disables them permanently the next time their serial number phones home to the mothership.

On that note, if anyone happens to have a spare old HPWC, I might be interested in it! They can be repaired if you have the right tools/skills/patience.