Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of deceitful "FSD" on used cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Word of caution for those that are looking at used Teslas on external sources and dealerships.

I've noticed that quite a number of used car dealers portray the car as having the FSD software package but if you look at the the details in the "Software" section of the car menu the car DOES NOT have the FSD package. It needs to list "Full Self Driving Capability" not "Autopilot" or "Autopilot Computer: Full Self Driving Computer". How they deceive via pictures or in-person is by showing the software menu which will show FSD V10.69.x or V11.x.x software being installed and have the FSD software running. If the "Full Self Driving Capability" is not listed in the Software section, the dealer has only subscribed to the monthly FSD software and it will disappear after your purchase.

I recall seeing some posts online about people saying FSD was removed after buying a used Tesla from a third party source. Not sure if this was the case but figured it's worth noting as I've been seeing this being done on numerous listings across all the tesla models.

It is honestly a big problem. I feel like a lot of buyers are being almost mislead into thinking they are buying a car just because it said Full Self Driving Compatability compared to Full Self Driving Capability Included. Also, not a lot of dealers if not most do not know if a tesla has FSD or not (I ended up getting a steal of a price because of this).

Reactions: AJ..
As much as is it a dealer problem with “FSD” being over stated by non-tesla dealers. A lot of blame goes to the buyers as well. Some buyers are naive to what any sort of “FSD” really is and is NOT. If a person is crazy enough to buy a car that ANYONE sold to them with the impression “you just get in and it takes you where you want to go. It will do everything. You just kick back and finish your make up and do whatever you want”. They are clueless and would buy ocean front property in Arizona. They should know better and do their own investigation into what is really available in todays market. Did the buyer ask the dealership to demonstrate the FSD? If they tried it once they would know that it has limitations. They would know it is a driver assist as much as it is anything else. It’s better now than it pretty much has ever been but if they expect it to be the be all, end all of driver engagement. They fooled themselves.