Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.44.30.2 and APS_W160

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, Software engineers, I need some help with this one. Tell me I am right or wrong. I got the Holiday update to my M3LR and it installed. The next thing I know NO FSD, AP, or TACC. The alert on the car came up as APS_w160. I tried, holding down the steering wheel buttons, and no go. I tried going to service and in the Service menu and re-installing the software, but no go. I tried calibrating the cameras, but they are stuck in a calibrating mode at 0%. I ran to my local service center and they re-downloaded the software and re-installed it before I left after the "service was complete" I got in my car and before even putting it in Drive the error came back. See attached Screenshot. They told me i have to come back next week for more Diags...NEXT WEEK!!! No AP OR FSD(which I just paid my 200 this month today) for a WEEK?!

Here is what I think happened. The package has two parts. The first updates the ECU, and the second updates the FSD computer. The ECU update worked fine but for the FSD computer the hash is mis-calculated on the package therefore it's not installing just the ECU update. Therefore I think it's a Tesla software problem due to the hash being incorrect on the FSD part of the package.

What do you think?
APS_w160Error.jpeg

So, Software engineers, I need some help with this one. Tell me I am right or wrong. I got the Holiday update to my M3LR and it installed. The next thing I know NO FSD, AP, or TACC. The alert on the car came up as APS_w160. I tried, holding down the steering wheel buttons, and no go. I tried going to service and in the Service menu and re-installing the software, but no go. I tried calibrating the cameras, but they are stuck in a calibrating mode at 0%. I ran to my local service center and they re-downloaded the software and re-installed it before I left after the "service was complete" I got in my car and before even putting it in Drive the error came back. See attached Screenshot. They told me i have to come back next week for more Diags...NEXT WEEK!!! No AP OR FSD(which I just paid my 200 this month today) for a WEEK?!

Here is what I think happened. The package has two parts. The first updates the ECU, and the second updates the FSD computer. The ECU update worked fine but for the FSD computer the hash is mis-calculated on the package therefore it's not installing just the ECU update. Therefore I think it's a Tesla software problem due to the hash being incorrect on the FSD part of the package.
I can only suggest a couple things. My update was followed by a navigation database update a couple hours later. Not sure that is relevant. Also, go through every menu and make sure the settings are where you want them. Last thing to try, a power off reset. Close the Tesla app, go to the safety menu and select power off. Wait at least 2 minutes (longer is better). Then interact by pressing brake to wake up and restart. Last, the latest Tesla app (they issued 2 updates in 2 days) has a place to ask questions in the service section. Try there might get someone more knowledgeable from Tesla.

may not be connected but I got 2023.44.30.2 and now I've got "AC inoperative" with outside temps showing 145F and interior fluctuating from 75-120F
Tried rebooting and powering off
Service call booked but I'm long out of warranty now

I have the same issue here. I reinstalled the firmware in service mode and that makes thing even worse: GPS is frozen. I then tried to reset the ECU and reboot the gateway. That didn't help.

However, the ping on ECU from toolbox 3 was fine.

Those are the following error messages I have for now:

IMG_1325.jpeg

IMG_1326.jpeg

I dealt with this for a few days this week. Was lucky to get a pretty quick service appointment and they got me back up and running. You don't realize how attached you get to these features until they're taken away from you.

Last night the app notified me to install 2023.44.30.5.1 and I'm a bit gun shy to do it.

What do you think?
View attachment 1001793
I'm having the same problem after the holiday update 44.30.5.1. No FSD, no lanea and same APS_w160 versionmismatch message. I guess they screwed up with last update for different versions of the cars.
2023.44.30.2 had bugs. 2023.44.30.5.1 fixes.
44.30.5.1 bricked my FSD completely, no fixes.

Reactions: yeafoshizzle
I dealt with this for a few days this week. Was lucky to get a pretty quick service appointment and they got me back up and running. You don't realize how attached you get to these features until they're taken away from you.

Last night the app notified me to install 2023.44.30.5.1 and I'm a bit gun shy to do it.
Don't do it if you are on HWD3. It bricked my FSD on 2020 MY, getting an error message about versionmismatch

2019 M3SR+ with FSD. I just loaded 2323.44.30.5.1 and lost all 3 camera views in reverse. Also no visualizations when driving. All the camera views are black in the app when viewing live cameras with the loading circle just spinning. Tried power down, reboot with brake peddle pressed and reload of software through the service screen. Service Active Alerts shows APS_w134_appMia (secondary autopilot processor not receiving messages). I have a green down arrow indicating something is downloading I don't know what since the screen says my car software is up to date. I did put a service request in so maybe Tesla is pushing something from their end. I'm hoping it is indeed a software issue. Was working fine before the download.

2019 M3SR+ with FSD. I just loaded 2323.44.30.5.1 and lost all 3 camera views in reverse. Also no visualizations when driving. All the camera views are black in the app when viewing live cameras with the loading circle just spinning. Tried power down, reboot with brake peddle pressed and reload of software through the service screen. Service Active Alerts shows APS_w134_appMia (secondary autopilot processor not receiving messages). I have a green down arrow indicating something is downloading I don't know what since the screen says my car software is up to date. I did put a service request in so maybe Tesla is pushing something from their end. I'm hoping it is indeed a software issue. Was working fine before the download.
The down arrow might be the nav data base that also comes in after the software update. If it continues open service request with the software option. I notice there is already an update 2023.44.30.6 not sure if it affects this issue.

2023.44.30.1 gave me the APS_w160 error. 2 days later I was pushed the 2023.44.30.5.1 software which cleared the the error, however, Autopilot and FSD fail to engage. Have to wait 2 WEEKS! for a mobile appointment for them to figure out how they broke my vehicle. This is ridiculous 😒

Last edited:
Either the holiday update itself, or the the follow on hotfix/bugfix seem to be bricking FSD/ADAS (or the communication to them) in a non-anecdotal way. Don't see much of a common denominator as it appears to be affecting all models. I made a post about it in the 2023 Holiday Update Imminent thread if you want some more details. Links to a few posts here and some on /r/TeslaLounge. This one appears to be a doozy. 😞

Reactions: FeeYe
Not sure if it is the same issue, but 2023.44.30.5.1 disappeared FSD from the Auto Pilot menu - only auto steer was available. The fix was to go to the search menu and enter "full". When the FSD tab pops up, select Full Self Driving and, with that screen still up, do a scroll wheel reboot.

Not sure if it is the same issue, but 2023.44.30.5.1 disappeared FSD from the Auto Pilot menu - only auto steer was available. The fix was to go to the search menu and enter "full". When the FSD tab pops up, select Full Self Driving and, with that screen still up, do a scroll wheel reboot.
I have a 3 and Y both OK so far but both cars have full FSD as a purchase. I'm wondering if those that lost it were under monthly subscription? Just looking for possibilities.

I went out this morning and still had no camera views when in reverse from the the 3 cameras. I came back out to the car about 2 hours later, still had the problem, then I deselected full self driving and then reselected it. The rear camera began working but not the side cameras. I did the 2 button reset with brake pedal and now all cameras work and the visualizations are back. All is well. Went for a short drive and autosteer work fine. Entered Service mode and did not see any alerts or red dots indicating a problem. The only thing different I did today was disabling then reenabling FSD. The problem is solved but I'm not sure it's something I did.

Problem has returned. All 3 camera views in reverse are black. I didn't drive so I don't know if the visualizations are missing also but I suspect they are. Service Mode shows APS_w134_appMia alert. Also the autopilot screen shows ECU Primary (A) status as INIT. ECU Secondary (B) status is NORMAL. The GNSS status (what ever that is) has two red parameters also. I have a service request in for January 2. Hope this isn't a hardware problem, I'm out of warranty.