Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of scammer: Johnny Perez at Shadowcraft USA & Chicago Composites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to spread the words on this scammer, Johnny Perez of Shadowcraft USA and Chicago Composites. I first learned about him from another TMC member on his Model 3. This Johnny Scammer Perez claimed he makes custom carbon fiber splash guards for the Model 3 and is expanding the product line to the S and X. He offered me to be an early adopter. I didn't have any concern at that time as he was being used by another TMC member. So I sent him the payment in full and he said he will ship the guards in about 3 weeks. That was in early March. By mid April, still no show so I filed a claim with PayPal. PayPal placed his account on hold and of course, he got with me right away feeding me the excuse of one of his finger was cut at work thus out of mission for few weeks. He begged him to close the PayPal claim as the hold is affecting his business. He promised he will ship the guards in a week. I felt bad for him and trusted his stories so I closed the claim...guess what, it is July 1st and no show. I did more digging online, he played the same trick with other folks on several different forums as well. Beware guys...what an ass.

according to few other websites members got scammed by this seller.

i got scammed as well and my CC still fighting for charge back. seller provided a dummy tracking # to my CC company which making it harder to get my money back.

if you google his website, a lot of stories you can read.

Beware of https://www.instagram.com/carbonguards/ and The Original Carbon Guards they are a scam. It's been over 100 days since placing my order and zero contact now. They made a ton of promises right up front and kept saying my parts would be shipped within 2 days. Since then, they have blocked me from their socials and wont respond to anything. I'm happy to post proof of payment and the many many messages of empty promises

Oh, weird, I have similar carbon fiber mudflaps. Back in early 2019. Let me see if I can find where I bought them, definitely not from Shadowcraft.

Okay found my receipt. I bought from protectmytesla They don't seem to be selling their CF mudflaps anymore.

As for why CF? I'll tell you back in early 2019, there were zero other choices. I guess I could have bought some generic flaps for $30 at the local autoparts store and cut it to fit, and honestly, that's probably something I'd consider if I did it over again. I like my CF mudflaps, but I wish they were slightly larger.
IMG_1906.jpg
IMG_1911.jpg

Reactions: calidreamz808
Oh, weird, I have similar carbon fiber mudflaps. Back in early 2019. Let me see if I can find where I bought them, definitely not from Shadowcraft.

Okay found my receipt. I bought from protectmytesla They don't seem to be selling their CF mudflaps anymore.

As for why CF? I'll tell you back in early 2019, there were zero other choices. I guess I could have bought some generic flaps for $30 at the local autoparts store and cut it to fit, and honestly, that's probably something I'd consider if I did it over again. I like my CF mudflaps, but I wish they were slightly larger.
View attachment 873070View attachment 873071

Wow. that look nice!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Buyer beware... I contacted him on Instagram and zelle'd him $180 for the guards. He confirmed the order, but never shipped them.

I actually ended up ordering on his website (website wasn't up when I zelled) and chargebacked when he didn't ship them. It was only then, when he finally shipped them. However, I thought the bank would keep the chargeback on the funds, but found out Johnny contacted the bank and reinstated the charge because he actually shipped them. At the end I basically paid 2x price for 1 order. I'm taking my loss and moving on. It's not worth the headache to get the guards imo, even though they're nice.

I just filed a consumer fraud complaint to the state's attorney for Illinois, seem like he started scamming people from 2018.

Here’s the link in case you got scammed by him as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Jackforl and KenC
Funny to be reading this. I had no idea. I recently bought a set of these Carbon Guards for my car off from someone on Facebook. All good with the product. And from their Instagram, it looks like a legit company too. I'm sorry to hear those who did not receive what they paid for.

Buyer beware... I contacted him on Instagram and zelle'd him $180 for the guards. He confirmed the order, but never shipped them.

I actually ended up ordering on his website (website wasn't up when I zelled) and chargebacked when he didn't ship them. It was only then, when he finally shipped them. However, I thought the bank would keep the chargeback on the funds, but found out Johnny contacted the bank and reinstated the charge because he actually shipped them. At the end I basically paid 2x price for 1 order. I'm taking my loss and moving on. It's not worth the headache to get the guards imo, even though they're nice.

I am not (repeat, I am NOT) trying to pick on you or anything, but none of those "instant" money transfer things (Zelle, Venmo, etc) should never (im going to repeat, should NEVER) be used to pay for goods and services from a vender... ever.

If they insist on Zelle / Venmo or Paypal friends and family ( for example ) for ANY reason, even if its " I dont want to pay fees" or any other reason, run, not walk, away from the vendor / deal. No deal is worth that hassle, and those services are designed for money transfers between people who know, AND trust each other.

I am not (repeat, I am NOT) trying to pick on you or anything, but none of those "instant" money transfer things (Zelle, Venmo, etc) should never (im going to repeat, should NEVER) be used to pay for goods and services from a vender... ever.

If they insist on Zelle / Venmo or Paypal friends and family ( for example ) for ANY reason, even if its " I dont want to pay fees" or any other reason, run, not walk, away from the vendor / deal. No deal is worth that hassle, and those services are designed for money transfers between people who know, AND trust each other.
Definitely learned my lesson

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin