Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware What You Tell Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beware what you tell Tesla. Say the wrong thing and they will give your car away!

So I received my invite to configure in late April 2018 and promptly proceeded to order, and was given a 4-8 week estimated delivery. I received the call to arrange for a delivery in the first week of June 11th. Problem was, I was scheduled to be out of town for work and leaving town on the 9th. So I naively told the advisor that I would be out of town and could not pick up the car until I returned on June 23rd.

Well when I returned, I called my delivery person and asked how much I owed, only to learn that I did not have a car reserved. Telsa decided to assign my car to someone else! Working with the agent, I was promised that I would be on a "priority queue". well its now been a week and there are no updates (just told that the local delivery centre is experiencing delays) nor revised estimate for when my delivery will happen. Its been over 10 weeks since I placed my order.

So learn from my mistake. When they call, accept the delivery date even if you can't make it. When the date arrives call them and reschedule.

I've since called the local delivery centre and they tell me that Telsa has a policy of only holding cars for a week. Would have been good for me to know that when I asked to delay my delivery.

Tesla Delivery Sucks!

Yep! I’ve read at least 3 stories of this happening. Actually at my service center another member here was picking up his car the same week and he told me he ordered his first p100d in January and because the sales person called him and told him he would have it in April and he was in another state until April 1st. The car was produced 2 weeks earlier and they called him in March that his car was in early and he couldn’t take delivery so they gave it to someone else. Then he had to re-order and wait until June!

So yea don’t miss your window! Clearly they don’t care who it goes to.

Beware what you tell Tesla. Say the wrong thing and they will give your car away!

So I received my invite to configure in late April 2018 and promptly proceeded to order, and was given a 4-8 week estimated delivery. I received the call to arrange for a delivery in the first week of June 11th. Problem was, I was scheduled to be out of town for work and leaving town on the 9th. So I naively told the advisor that I would be out of town and could not pick up the car until I returned on June 23rd.

Well when I returned, I called my delivery person and asked how much I owed, only to learn that I did not have a car reserved. Telsa decided to assign my car to someone else! Working with the agent, I was promised that I would be on a "priority queue". well its now been a week and there are no updates (just told that the local delivery centre is experiencing delays) nor revised estimate for when my delivery will happen. Its been over 10 weeks since I placed my order.

So learn from my mistake. When they call, accept the delivery date even if you can't make it. When the date arrives call them and reschedule.

I've since called the local delivery centre and they tell me that Telsa has a policy of only holding cars for a week. Would have been good for me to know that when I asked to delay my delivery.

Tesla Delivery Sucks!

Why couldn't they have simply told you what the policy was?

It's not like you didn't tell them exactly when you'd be back. If it was me I would have been so pissed I would have ordered another car, and then I would have rejected it over the smallest tiny thing, and then got my deposit back.

Yup, would have been nice if they told me. Overall I am not very impressed with Tesla's sales team. I've received better service buying other brands like Honda and way way better service buying a used Mini from BMW. If they want to be a premium brand they need to change the way they treat their customers. Customers that have put hard earned cash down on a car 2 years before knowing what it would look or drive like. While in their showrooms they do some right things, coffee, bottled water, ... I am concerned about how they will treat you after they have all of your money.

Got a call from Las Vegas and told that they have a car for me that's already at the local delivery centre and I can pick it up as early as Sunday. Not sure how this happened, but I called the support line instead of my ISA last weekend and was was told the term Tesla uses for people in my situation (delayed delivery) is "remarketing". She checked my account and said everything looked good, but would check with her manager and call me back. That did not happen, waited 2 days and called back into the support line. This time I was told that my account was made eligible for "remarketing" the same day that I first called the support line on the weekend. Agent said she would add some notes and make sure that there would be no other reasons why I would not be eligible. Then, 4 days later I get a call for delivery. Coincidence? Maybe, but they did say the the car was already at the delivery centre, so its possible that someone else opted to delay their delivery and I got reassigned their car, or that they just delivered a bunch of cars, or ... Its a mystery. Just happy I am getting my car 12 weeks after I placed my order.

My advice to anyone waiting is to call the support line and ask if your account is eligible for remarking.