Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Bear - where to charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any news of Superchargers coming to Big Bear Lake? There's lots of great outdoor things to do year around in Big Bear Lake, but I'm holding off until I can Supercharge in town. Lake Arrowhead may get some Superchargers, but that's too far out of the way for me unless I'm visiting Lake Arrowhead itself.

I think it's time for us to nudge the good folks in Big Big Lake again about getting their own Superchargers. 🙃

Reactions: beachmiles
I have an 80amp Tesla charger at my house in big bear lake. I do charge a fee to cover expenses but it is worth the peace of mind that you can just pull in and charge in my private driveway just for Tesla cars. There is also a nice restaurant 100 yards away to eat at
I was just up there July 5-8. Would have been nice to have somewhere to charge. I had to go down to San Bernardino once to charge my X. Hahahaha. I’ll keep your info on my next trip.

I've heard that the good people of Big Bear Lake are now moving forward with adding some EV chargers in two of the popular parking lots in town. I don't have all the details, but they're trying to include one Tesla Supercharger. It's not clear if that's literally one Tesla Supercharger (as in one plug) or a set of Superchargers. Certainly, any additional EV chargers would be very welcome and are needed, but I do hope they'll deploy multiple Superchargers (plugs).

I stayed and charged at the Best Western Big Bear Chateau 5/22/2020, seems no longer on plugshare, was a 14-50 plug.

Did they remove ?

IMG_3196.jpeg

I've heard that the good people of Big Bear Lake are now moving forward with adding some EV chargers in two of the popular parking lots in town. I don't have all the details, but they're trying to include one Tesla Supercharger. It's not clear if that's literally one Tesla Supercharger (as in one plug) or a set of Superchargers. Certainly, any additional EV chargers would be very welcome and are needed, but I do hope they'll deploy multiple Superchargers (plugs).

Any more info?

So, taking the family to Big Bear in February for a week. Really want to take the Tesla...

But, where to charge?

I have figured out I can use the SuperCharger at the bottom of the mountain, and can make it to the top with 65% remaining. But for a week in BB, that will not last, so I will need to charge up there.

I have found a destination charger in Lake Arrowhead, but do not know if I can use it
I have found a chargepoint in Running Springs.
I've read about people charging in camp grounds, but have never done that myself, and don't even know if they're open in the Winter.

Has anyone found a good place to charge in Big Bear itself?
Let me share what just happened to us.
We were in Big Bear 9/11-13/2021. Before we took off we didn’t know there’s no supercharger station in the entire lakes area (didn’t do homework). When we arrived we have 95 miles battery left - we have Model S70, from highland charger station the car consumed 75 miles (distance is 34 miles).
When we took off today we have only 83 miles battery. we stopped by Lake Arrowhead, the battery drops to 65, when we comes back to Highland charger station it is 67 miles left (gained 2 miles from Arrowhead. But for total trip from Big Bear it used 16 miles battery.
hope this could be helpful to future travelers of tesla owners.

Let me share what just happened to us.
We were in Big Bear 9/11-13/2021. Before we took off we didn’t know there’s no supercharger station in the entire lakes area (didn’t do homework). When we arrived we have 95 miles battery left - we have Model S70, from highland charger station the car consumed 75 miles (distance is 34 miles).
When we took off today we have only 83 miles battery. we stopped by Lake Arrowhead, the battery drops to 65, when we comes back to Highland charger station it is 67 miles left (gained 2 miles from Arrowhead. But for total trip from Big Bear it used 16 miles battery.
hope this could be helpful to future travelers of tesla owners.

Thanks for the info, but jeez, always always plan before taking a trip!

• Funny
Reactions: Oil Freedom
Yes that's helpful, but do keep in mind the time of year/weather and the resulting potential battery/cabin temperature control requirements that can drain the battery a lot faster. Also, how many days you stay on the mountain.

Good point. I ended up at Big Bear in the winter at dinner time with 7% battery charge, went to a restaurant, and when I came back out, I had 2% left. Aaaah! I had forgotten how quickly the battery can drain sitting outside in the cold. I plugged it as soon as I got to my condo, but that was pretty close.