Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big price drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the biggest issue for Tesla because of the price cuts is the negative impact to customers brand loyalty. The folks that paid the high prices in 2022 have deep pockets and may have been back to get another Tesla eventually. I’m not so sure they will now.
If they were truly brand loyal they would be excited about how competitive this makes Tesla. Call it what it is: entitled selfishness

Im right there with you. I'd drive this POS off a cliff if I had GAP insurance on the loan, but now I have to drive it until the wheel fall off

Elon is such an evil genius... if this was a superhero movie he would be monologging right now about how he deceived the world... and how it wasn't possible to stop him because his plan to screw over everyone happen DAYS ago...

Muahahhahahah... Elon doesn't even know most of these complainers, but yet, he is forcing them to keep HIS cars even though these people are so upset that their temperatures could be comparable to that of a thousand suns...

Evil genius indeed. Our first clue was his evil superhero costume on Twitter (an alt right social media company no less) that he wears as an avatar IN PLAIN SIGHT.

(Op should get gap insurance amyways...)

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think the biggest issue for Tesla because of the price cuts is the negative impact to customers brand loyalty. The folks that paid the high prices in 2022 have deep pockets and may have been back to get another Tesla eventually. I’m not so sure they will now.

Oh I am 100% sure they will when they need a new EV if Tesla has the best product at the best price then. They are just being emotional.

Reactions: eleison
First, I didn't know about Tesla dropping the price. Absolutely new to me.

Second, stop looking for an excuse for Tesla doing this bullshit. I bought all my cars new and never seen this before. I've owned more than 10 cars.

Lastly, Yes cars depreciate but when your car depreciates $8,000 overnight this is not cool.

For decades, manufacturers have fo been adjusting prices (sometimes significantly) through adding or eliminating rebates/incentives. What Tesla did here is essentially the equivalent of adding thousands in rebates/incentives.

It's also not the first time Tesla has lowered retail prices on their cars. In 2020, for example, the U.S. base price of the MS went from $79,990 at the beginning of the year to $69,420 by the last quarter. Similar price reductions were done in Canada.

This is the nature of business and pricing in general. It is, of course, a bigger deal dollarwise when you are talking about products costing tens of thousands of dollars.

It's a very dirty move. The thing is, us, who paid this much, really liked the car. I promise that i won't be buying another Tesla. I will gladly take my almost $100K CAD somewhere else. In the next 3-4 years, other EV makers with catch up with EV tech and it will be an easy switch.

I don't recall Audi, BMW, Mercedes doing it. My wife drives Audi and the price never went down. You could negotiate before the covid nonsense, but the manufacturer doesn't scream at you and pretty much saying "fak you, you dumb ass for buying". It's dirty and screw Tesla.
That’s not entirely true. Other manufacturers sold through dealer networks don’t have transparency like Tesla for their pricing. Take an example for Audi, at a time e-tron had a huge factory trunk money incentive for dealers to move units. Likewise for typical dealers. Consumers just may never know that until u really shop for it.

Not here to defend Tesla. If I bought one and paid for all the money, I would’ve been pissed too. But on the flip side I saw this coming. Just didn’t see them being this aggressive. The Long Range has been MIA for most part of 2022 I thought they are waiting for the new law to be in effect to offer it again but instead they dropped the top Performance below the cap so it qualifies. Bold move by Tesla. Now I can see the demand going great again because at the current price it’s an no-brainer. Why even bother looking at any other EVs?

Not here to defend Tesla. If I bought one and paid for all the money, I would’ve been pissed too. But on the flip side I saw this coming. Just didn’t see them being this aggressive. The Long Range has been MIA for most part of 2022 I thought they are waiting for the new law to be in effect to offer it again but instead they dropped the top Performance below the cap so it qualifies. Bold move by Tesla. Now I can see the demand going great again because at the current price it’s an no-brainer. Why even bother looking at any other EVs?

Or even an ICE… a Model 3 is barely more costly than a Camry, if the federal incentive applies.

This correction needed to happen. The Y and 3 were overpriced, and that coupled with the anti-Tesla sentiment from Elon’s antics led to soft sales. Car companies give discounts. Sometimes it’s through price decreases and sometimes it’s through 0% financing. We bought a Toyota in 2016 and with their financing deal we were able to drive off the lot for literally $0 and didn’t have to make a payment for two months. That deal wasn’t just for what was on the lot. If we’d chosen a different color and had to wait for a few weeks we would have gotten the same $0/down 0%/financing deal.

Reactions: afadeev and cdub
Tesla brand loyalty was already in decline before the recent round of price discounts.
"The share of its cars' owners who would buy from the company again has now slipped to 60%, down from 70% before, and below the industry average of 65%."​

1673728678619.png

Reactions: DR61
So just to confirm those who bought in October - Dec 2022 do not qualify for any tax credits? Tesla really needs to figure out a way to take care of these people because they lost $10k overnight in value. Only thing we can hope for is that demand will exceed production raising used car values.

For decades, manufacturers have fo been adjusting prices (sometimes significantly) through adding or eliminating rebates/incentives. What Tesla did here is essentially the equivalent of adding thousands in rebates/incentives.

It's also not the first time Tesla has lowered retail prices on their cars. In 2020, for example, the U.S. base price of the MS went from $79,990 at the beginning of the year to $69,420 by the last quarter. Similar price reductions were done in Canada.

This is the nature of business and pricing in general. It is, of course, a bigger deal dollarwise when you are talking about products costing tens of thousands of dollars.
I remember that drop to $70k for the Model S! It was quite a deal at the time but dismayed those who had just paid a lot more.

For awhile Tesla was rapidly lowering prices as their economy of scale improved. Then demand exceeded supply by a lot, especially for the Y, and they started aggressively raising prices to improve margins. And to help pay for rapid expansion, I presume. Now with demand softening, as well as increased competition, they are back to lowering prices again. So it goes.

Other manufacturers sold through dealer networks don’t have transparency like Tesla for their pricing. Take an example for Audi, at a time e-tron had a huge factory trunk money incentive for dealers to move units. Likewise for typical dealers. Consumers just may never know that until u really shop for it.

It's difficult to make a direct comparison between the two. Tesla is not only the manufacturer but also the dealer as they own all of the dealerships/stores. Any "dealer incentives" at Tesla would just be moving money around within the company, and Tesla doesn't reveal "dealer invoice" or "wholesale" prices like other manufacturers anyway.