Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bigger Tire Size on 2024 M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just recently took delivery of a 2024 M3P and wanted to upsize the stock warp wheels & tires to increase curb protection.

I am thinking of running 255/35/20 FR and 295/30/20 RR.

Could anyone provide guidance on any sizing concerns with this set-up? I am mechanically inept, so I am not sure if this will affect the AWD system also, but from the initial size comparison, the rolling diameter is +1.9% or +0.5" from stock set-up on both front & back.

Would this pose any issue or is there something else I am missing?

Front Tire Comparison: 235/35/20 to 255/35/20
1719507741212.png

Rear Tire Comparison: 275/30/20 to 295/30/20
1719507814802.png

Won’t matter. What matters is that front/rear are the same diameter.
I disagree with you on both counts. I don't think that 255/35/20 fit without issues. Many brands rub. It also does matter what the outer diameter is. Bigger diameters make for more sluggish cars. And they exaggerate the traction control, so it kicks in more on leans. If the quality of the ride matters, then it does matter.

Won’t matter. What matters is that front/rear are the same diameter.

I think you mean, the left and right tires must have the same diameter otherwise
the traction control will activate the brake on the wheel spinning faster than the other one.

Otherwise, since the front and rear wheels are not connected mechanically,
the AWD will not be affected if the front and the rear wheel diameters are not identical.

Also, most of the time, the front axial motor is not activated, unless using the track mode
where you can select the amount of power between the front and the rear.

Last edited:
I think you mean, the left and right tires must have the same diameter otherwise
the traction control will activate the brake on the wheel spinning faster than the other one.

Otherwise, since the front and rear wheels are not connected mechanically,
the AWD will not be affected if the front and the rear wheel diameters are not identical.

Also, most of the time, the front axial motor is not activated, unless using the track mode
where you can select the amount of power between the front and the rear.
You’re not wrong about the need to balance left/right sizes, but that would apply more in the case someone tries to replace only one old tire with a new one. Of Course, when buying a new set, it’s a given people will buy the same size for both sides of an axle…

However, while not mechanically linked, the same challenges will arise if the car detects the front and rear axles arent rotating at the same speed. There seems to be maybe a few tenths of tolerance, but otherwise not much.

@corykong I suspect you’ll have no major issues running the 255/295 combo, but might end up needing maybe a 5mm spacer up front to avoid the tire rubbing on the knuckle.