Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biggest Positive and Negative Surprises About Model 3 AWD Performance Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any Model 3 owners gotten use to this yet? Please tell me it eventually gets better with time
Still not use to this. I always feel like I am rolling the dice when changing lanes. The back mirror barely shows the tops of cars. The side mirrors are so small, that they don't inspire confidence that I am clear and looking over the shoulder isn't good either as the car slopes upwards towards the back.

What I end up doing to create some clearance is floor it, knowing that there aren't many cars that can keep up with the P3D, thus I should be ahead enough to do a safe lane change. So I am constantly shooting like a bat out of hell every time I need to perform a lance change.

Maybe with version 9, blind spot assist improvements this will change this.

I bought mine after (ordered AWD on 9/16, but changed after and took delivering of P3D+ on 9/28). I was promised unlimited supercharging if I took delivery of a P by EOM. The sales guy who has been very helpful and set me up with the car says it’s a widespread problem they’re having with the P3s and it’s being worked on. He said just to not put a credit card on the account (I’d already had one from the deposit so I removed it) and that any charges will be taken care of. I am concerned and will feel much better when that page updates to say unlimited instead of pay-per-use, but am glad to hear it’s not just me. They told me I’d get it and I asked and confirmed many times, so I expect they’ll sort it out eventually.
Can someone show me a screen shot of this page. I still can't find it and there is no where for me to see any info about supercharging unlimited or otherwise.

My P3D+ is coming in soon. I've test drove it several times and that was the feeling I got. I'm wondering will I adjust to it. It's hard because it's so instant instead of working its way up like ICE cars so you can lose track of speed. Some users suggest setting a speed limit notification/chime.
Oh, adjusting to the speed is really quick. Takes about two weeks before it feels too slow. Now I am questioning whether I really got a P3D- or maybe they made a mistake and gave me AWD instead. I am going to go test drive a P3D at my nearest showroom to make sure my car is as fast because it sure feels slow lately.

Still not use to this. I always feel like I am rolling the dice when changing lanes. The back mirror barely shows the tops of cars. The side mirrors are so small, that they don't inspire confidence that I am clear and looking over the shoulder isn't good either as the car slopes upwards towards the back.

What I end up doing to create some clearance is floor it, knowing that there aren't many cars that can keep up with the P3D, thus I should be ahead enough to do a safe lane change. So I am constantly shooting like a bat out of hell every time I need to perform a lance change.

Glad I'm not the only one feeling this way

Oh, adjusting to the speed is really quick. Takes about two weeks before it feels too slow. Now I am questioning whether I really got a P3D- or maybe they made a mistake and gave me AWD instead. I am going to go test drive a P3D at my nearest showroom to make sure my car is as fast because it sure feels slow lately.

That sounds depressing lol

I'll put the small rear view mirror complaint a different way; the bottom of the rear window is too high.

The autopilot is not a very smooth driver. TACC is in too much of a hurry to get the number of car lengths to the right number, and the automatic lane change is more abrupt than I think is polite to my passengers. When using AP in traffic, coming up on a car stopped at a light is a higher-than-necessary deceleration-rate affair.

I also find the amount of torque you need to apply to the steering wheel to satisfy the AP proctor a little off-putting. It feels like I'm making a serious attempt to either pull into oncoming traffic or take the car into the ditch. I appreciate the need for this requirement but I had no appreciation how annoying it would be. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Just noticed your sig, I remember you debated for a long time and went with P3D- and now you have a P3D+?! Congrats!

What's the reason changing?

• $1600 discount for Demo Car, now or continue to wait. I got my 3rd delivery delay on 9/26, and had it with the situation. Plus the incoming September build might be even worse while I got to inspect the demo car (229 miles, almost perfect paint, and no panel gaps). Paid for the white seats.
  • I always no so secretly desired the +, but hated the range loss associated with it. I want my bling, lol.
  • I'm still not sure if they binned the motors for the P3D, or whether they did it for just the +, or with all of them, or none of them.
  • As others have said, Tesla reserves special updates for people who get their top trimmed model *see Track mode* . I actually don't need track mode now that I've driven my P3D+ and realized 0.2g regen is more than strong enough.

Glad I'm not the only one feeling this way
I'm getting the sense that most posting on this topic haven't driven EVs before. After a bit of experience you'll be fine. The pedal in an ICE car initiates a fairly long chain of events, and you're accustomed to pressing it in that way. Soon your right foot will come to appreciate the exquisite level of control it has over the car's speed. You'll also learn how precisely it can be driven at very low speed.

Reactions: dfwatt and t6061
I'm getting the sense that most posting on this topic haven't driven EVs before. After a bit of experience you'll be fine. The pedal in an ICE car initiates a fairly long chain of events, and you're accustomed to pressing it in that way. Soon your right foot will come to appreciate the exquisite level of control it has over the car's speed. You'll also learn how precisely it can be driven at very low speed.

Yeah, never drove an EV before. Maybe I'm just overthinking.

Where do you see this?
What's important is what I dont see. While my account page has PPU, my car does NOT have the Paid Supercharging field on the car screen as shown below when supercharging.
m3acct.JPG

model-3-chargnig_750.jpg

I am surprised. I got used to it after 1 or 2 days. Only time it’s a little troublesome is with a very low car that’s tailgating, but even yesterday when that happened I had not trouble identifying a car was there. Of course I always look over my shoulder when switching lanes because of blind spots.
New navigation software (#9) will help with blind spot issues.

• Disagree
Reactions: arnis
When they finally update our accounts we will receive reund for charges incurred and permanent exemption. I am not at all worried about that, but I did seek official email clarification that this would happen, and they did send me the email confirmation. I really don't much care if it takes a couple of months to do that.

Florida has electronic titles. Depends on the dealer whether they use e-title or not.
The last I knew the FL electronic title and physical one come only after the processing by the Florida DOT. Mine took 27 days this time, about the same time it has taken for all my FL licenses and titles.

I've supercharged twice and where it tells you your price paid (lower right) on the supercharging screen mine just says something to the effect of "no recent supercharging". In fact it didn't change at all after supercharging last night.

I still have the "pay per use" in my account page but also don't have a credit card linked either.