Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike rack for 69 pound ebike?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the stealth hitch and use the Thule easy fold XT2 for our 2 e-bikes

Attachments

• BA2B336A-6114-4ACF-BC5A-25DEB9E37075.jpeg
    BA2B336A-6114-4ACF-BC5A-25DEB9E37075.jpeg
    646.4 KB · Views: 469
Get a hitch installed then get a rack from 1UP

This.

The 1UP Super Duty single or double rack is more than enough to carry a heavy e-bike (says it'll hold up to 75 lbs, and my Super Duty Double easily holds 2 heavy Super73 bikes without any issues).

The only thing is, the Heavy Duty and Super Duty racks require a 2" hitch, which might be too big for a Model 3. If you want to stick with a 1.25" hitch, then you can get the Quick Duty or Equip-D (single or double) racks. Those have a rating of 50 lbs, but there's been a lot of people who can attest to their 1UP racks holding more weight than that and not having any issues when driving thousands of miles.

This.

The 1UP Super Duty single or double rack is more than enough to carry a heavy e-bike (says it'll hold up to 75 lbs, and my Super Duty Double easily holds 2 heavy Super73 bikes without any issues).

The only thing is, the Heavy Duty and Super Duty racks require a 2" hitch, which might be too big for a Model 3. If you want to stick with a 1.25" hitch, then you can get the Quick Duty or Equip-D (single or double) racks. Those have a rating of 50 lbs, but there's been a lot of people who can attest to their 1UP racks holding more weight than that and not having any issues when driving thousands of miles.
I have the 1up bike rack with a 2 inch eco hitch, no problem at all. Have carried 3 bikes on it and couldn’t be happier .

I installed a Curt 1 1/4" by myself. It was really pretty simple, but definitely unnerving taking stuff apart hoping to be able to put it back together. There do seem to be some fit issues here and there since Tesla changes things without warning. I seem to recall more fit issues with the 2" receivers, but that could have just been my imagination.

I found this post to be quite helpful when installing the hitch:
Curt Hitch Install Question

How much did that cost and what is the effect on range?
I have the same setup as Gadgetboyea, Stealth hitch, Thule EZFold XT2, with 2 standard (not E bike) bikes. I just completed my first long distance trip, about 800 mi round trip with the bikes. It’s a bit hard to compare apples to apples because driving conditions varied a lot from my other trips in that it was significantly colder with bikes (65 degrees F vs 35-40 F) and half of the trip was in rain. But WH/mi is significantly higher with the bikes on the back. Generally without the bikes I averaged about 265 and with the bikes I averaged 447 in the rain and 382 in sunny weather. I used ABRP and had no problems worrying about charging. On my trip without the bikes I would have used 2 charging stops (about 40 mins outbound) but used 4 outbound (70 mins) and 3 for return (55 mins). There were no handling differences or noise issues and I drove 75 most of the way. Obviously, the bikes block some but not all of the rear camera, and when backing up you get a beep, beep (like a truck) since the sensors see the bikes as an obstacle. However, lane change with FSD was not affected by the bikes. Charging was not an issue but requires care when backing into a charging station. The cord is just barely long enough. I was able to find straight-in spots in a couple of the Supercharger stations which made it very easy. Side note: the EZFold XT2 with bikes can be tilted away from the car to increase access to the trunk and can be easily removed from the receiver, folds into a suitcase size and fits in the trunk when not in use. All in all, I would not hesitate to take the bikes again on a trip but would just plan on more charging along the way compared to a normal trip.