Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BioWeapon Defense Mode Hack For Wildfire Smoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tander

Jul 23, 2012
So I'm in a certain area that has a lot of wildfires and some of the worst air in the world last week. Not good for people especially those in sensitive populations. I had thought that when you get in your car, you put on recirculate air, and then you've got pretty decent air. But after a 2 hour drive through the worst of it, with an n95 mask on the whole time I was feeling pretty smoked out. And I noticed numerous cars swerving kinda like they had been drinking. It is much better than outside, but in most cars still unhealthy unless you've got bioweapon defense mode. I measured mine (in a newer Subaru with stock air filter on recirculate) and the PM2.5 was still in the 50's after half an hour on recirculate, and as high as the 200s for a while, mind you that is with one door opening for about a second.

So I tried to brainstorm ideas, how do I get bioweapon defense mode without buying a Tesla. What I came up with was just taking a HEPA air filter built for a small room and pairing it with one of those portable batteries. As soon as the door shuts you crank it up to high for a couple minutes and the PM2.5 levels come down to low single digits, then you put it on low and they stay there. I think you may be able to plug it directly into some cars or use an inverter but not sure if that would case problems or not. Anyway hope that helps some people. Also hope bioweapon defense becomes a standard safety feature on every car Tesla or not.

*Also for those relying on your stock cabin filter, run it on the lowest fan speed setting, the higher fan speeds actually force more particulate through the filters.