Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Antifungal spray for cabin air filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it's the filter either. Mine didn't smell until about a year and a half in... but then cleaning the coils and replacing the filters didn't keep it gone for nearly that long.

It must be solvable though... I've never replaced filters in any other vehicles I've owned and never smelled anything like it... and I owned those vehicles much longer.

I don't think it's the filter either. Mine didn't smell until about a year and a half in... but then cleaning the coils and replacing the filters didn't keep it gone for nearly that long.

It must be solvable though... I've never replaced filters in any other vehicles I've owned and never smelled anything like it... and I owned those vehicles much longer.
Yeah, I've had over 10 cars, and I changed the air filters in them like once every 2 years. They all have the "air conditioning is on" damp smell for like 10-20 seconds and that's it. My Model 3 smells like that as well, IF I remember to dry the AC coil manually.

I just wish the car would automatically dry the coils aggressively... How do we get this point across to Tesla? If the car's doing this automatically right now as of software version 2023, then it's simply not aggressive enough.

Guys… I have owned my Tesla for a couple years now and I have cleaned HVAC system a couple of different times with varying degrees of success. Tesla also cleaned it once under warranty, about two months after I got the car. It’s fairly humid here in Virginia, so I suspect that plays a large role. I have replaced the filters and used the KoolIt cleaner. Last time, I used two cans! Forgive the spelling is this is voice text. when I last cleaned the HVAC system the smell returned almost immediately. I am wanting to access the drain side of the coils and any sort of drip pan if there is one. I honestly don’t believe the coils themselves are dirty. I put an inspection camera in when I took the filters out and they look pristine. Is it possible to access the other side of the coils anywhere? I can get to the side where the filters are located, I want to see what’s on the other side.

Thanks,

Todd

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
Hey all,

For the past few days I've been reading through all the threads related to this topic. With it being that time of the year now the inside of the car when inside of the garage exceeds 90F, which triggers the cabin overheat protection.

I had the overheat protection on AC (Big mistake, never have it on AC) within the app and I'm convinced that is the culprit responsible for the sour smell that has presented itself lately. A few weeks ago I changed the air filters anyway and gave the inside of the intake area a really good wipe down. (Did not use any cleaners).

I've since kept the air only on AUTO and have not experienced any foul smell at all. At times during the drive when looking at the air menu you can see that it turns on and off the circulation mode (outside to inside) so it's doing what it's designed to do.

I'm convinced that this is the key, to keep the air on AUTO and to let the car/algorithm or whatever you want to call it do its thing. By having it on AUTO it dries out the coils and if you have your destination going on the Nav, you'll notice that it switches it to outside air before getting there.

Definitely not rocket science, but it's nice to know that there is a working solution to prevent the foul smell. I'll also note that the smell issue is a lot less in the Y (better system), although it still occurs, but it seems the 3 with the dinky design is inferior, which makes sense. On a side note, I wish they would at least put the bio pre filter unit on the Performance model or at least have it an option, but that'd make things more complicated production wise so I get it.

Thanks for all the useful input.

Now let me ask, for those that prefer not to use the chemical sprays, what are your thoughts on spraying (spray bottle / mist) a mixed diluted solution of IPA >70% or Hydrogen Peroxide into the intake vent to help sanitize the funk? Since IPA evaporates quickly it should technically be okay? As for H2O2 the only issue with that is potential corrosion on metal fins? However, it would evaporate fast enough that it shouldn't be an issue?

The reason for using IPA or H2O2 is due to having a newborn and a small child. Just a personal preference, to each their own. I get that you blow out the vents with the sprays and all, but if there is another solution like the ones above that could do the job without any downfalls, then I'm open to trying that out.

Appreciate any input.
Just to add a data point here… My car has been on auto since the day it rolled out of the dealership, I don’t ever use AC for cabin, overheat protection, although I do use cabin overheat protection, with just the outside air. My car gets funky, almost immediately after it’s cleaned, even with new filters, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
Just to add a data point here… My car has been on auto since the day it rolled out of the dealership, I don’t ever use AC for cabin, overheat protection, although I do use cabin overheat protection, with just the outside air. My car gets funky, almost immediately after it’s cleaned, even with new filters, etc.

Perhaps you are missing cleaning something?

I have never cleaned mine myself, I have had Tesla change and clean the air filters once during my ownership period, I bought the car in 2018, I had this done in 2020 ish, and havent had it done again and no smells have come back since then.

Perhaps you are missing cleaning something?

I have never cleaned mine myself, I have had Tesla change and clean the air filters once during my ownership period, I bought the car in 2018, I had this done in 2020 ish, and havent had it done again and no smells have come back since then.
Well….. it’s an expanding foam that fills the entire cavity where the filters sit, so n it’s pretty impossible to miss anything, especially using TWO cans of cleaner.

I am curious if there is any sort of drip pan under the coils that could collect water and grow mold. They do make tablets that you can put into drip pans, and I would like to try these, but I’m not sure if the system actually has any sort of drip pan.

Well….. it’s an expanding foam that fills the entire cavity where the filters sit, so n it’s pretty impossible to miss anything, especially using TWO cans of cleaner.
I would not assume that necessarily is the case. Some people have made a makeshift shield to try to direct the foam toward the coils as a lot of the foam may go places where it's not doing anything useful.
UGH - The smell of it. [AC Smell]

I am curious if there is any sort of drip pan under the coils that could collect water and grow mold. They do make tablets that you can put into drip pans, and I would like to try these, but I’m not sure if the system actually has any sort of drip pan.
The discharge drains into the bottom undertray under the front of the car body. You can see it if you take out the frunk.
Mold/Vinegar Smell from A/C

You can test if the drain is clogged by seeing if the liquid is able to drain out when applying the foam.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I’ve had a camera in there, the foam is getting where its supposed to go. I did break up a “pan tab” and sprinkle the bits in the bottom of the filter tray. The funk has not yet returned. We’ll see. Also, the drain in not clogged up. There is always a largeish puddle of water under the car in the garage.

I have the same stink problem. Strange thing is I have owned a Model S 90D for 7 years without any issues and only have replaced the filter twice and have NEVER had the smell. I have a 2022 Model S Plaid and have the stink constantly and have replaced the filter 3 times. What is going on with newer Teslas???

I have the same stink problem. Strange thing is I have owned a Model S 90D for 7 years without any issues and only have replaced the filter twice and have NEVER had the smell. I have a 2022 Model S Plaid and have the stink constantly and have replaced the filter 3 times. What is going on with newer Teslas???

Do you do anything different now? For the first few months of owning my used TM3, I didn’t realize the prev owner never changed the filters. The reason was I always precondition before I drive. I only noticed it when I would get in without the ac/heat running first.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I just want to point out that even with all that guy is doing in his videos... He claims to still not know how to solve the problem. All we know is the end is his filter is still wet.
Considering he's not a Tesla engineer, I think he's done a lot more than Tesla has at finding out why the filter gets wet. Tesla should have fixed this years ago when there were a ton of complaints about it, yet they've still done nothing.

I presume they wont as the issue seems to affect only a very few cars and we have never conclusively proven what the actual cause of thr problem is.

Again my own car which spent years in the humid tropics is completely fine and if anything even 4 years later is still have a faintly pleasant offgassing smell

I know this is a M3 forum but it looks like at least with the MS, getting the filter wet (like by driving in hard rain with fresh air setting ON) has more to do with the smell than the humidity. I have been going through this with my current MS and the previous version. Diverting the air flow so it does not carry droplets directly into the intake and adding a hydrophobic pre-filter seems to have solved the problem for all who do it. It has for me.

Check the solutions here: Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS
Most of the way through the thread.

Reactions: Mayer and Mark57
I know this is a M3 forum but it looks like at least with the MS, getting the filter wet (like by driving in hard rain with fresh air setting ON) has more to do with the smell than the humidity. I have been going through this with my current MS and the previous version. Diverting the air flow so it does not carry droplets directly into the intake and adding a hydrophobic pre-filter seems to have solved the problem for all who do it. It has for me.

Check the solutions here: Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

Someone should try a hydrophobic per filter sock and put it over the backside of the intake by the firewall.

What setting do you use while driving in hard rain; recirculate?