Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Particulate air quality inside the cabin measurement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some time now I've been wondering how well the HEPA filter works. I just answered that question by placing a PurpleAir sensor measuring PM1.0, PM2.5, and PM10 behind the driver seat for a few days and running some test.

The measurements are done using the US EPA Air Quality Index (AQI) units: 0=no pollutants detected, 50=a mediocre big city day, 100=a bad big city day, >150 smoke from fires in the air.

Testing yesterday in Sydney, driving with all windows down: 25. Matches the measurements of other PurpleAir sensors located outside in the area.
Closing all windows, with aircon on auto lowers the AQI to 0 within about 3 minutes.
Driving with windows closed in biohazard mode with outside AQI at 50: 0 on the inside
Driving with windows closed with climate in auto: with outside AQI at 50: 0 on the inside
Getting a passenger to vape their brains out: AQI rushes to >400, and within 2 minutes of stopping, AQI is back to zero.

This could indicate that recirculated cabin air likely is also passed through the HEPA filter. Or the entire cabin air is exchanged with fresh outside air in 2 minutes.

Overall, I'm very impressed, especially given I had assumed this was all smoke and mirrors so to speak, because I can occasionally smell diesel exhaust from the outside when behind a big stinker. Turns out volatile organic compounds (VOCs) tend to be smaller than what the HEPA filter can catch. So we're safe from fine particulate matter in our cars. But not from VOCs.

No recirc in biohazard mode. Biohazard mode creates positive pressure inside the cabin, it can only do that by sucking air in from the outside of course. But in automatic climate mode it set recirculation to on and AQI was back at 0 in 2 minutes.

Reactions: brkaus
Did a better test now using ambient air instead of vaping... the vape apparently disappears all on its own without any AC going after about 1m20s... bad test.

So here's the better method:
Air the car with outside air (all windows down - climate off), for 60 seconds while driving, AQI goes to ~25, same as outside. Repeat that before every individual test.

Then all windows up and:

AC off: AQI slowly decays over 5 minutes to about 4, then doesn't move much after.
Biohazard mode: AQI=0 after 40 seconds
AC set to 5 manual, outside air: AQI=0 after ~1 minute
AC set to 5 manual, recirculate on: AQI=0 after about 2 minutes

So probably some filtration going on inside air as well, but not HEPA grade.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and brkaus
I love HEPA filtration. Actually big part of the reason I got my second S in 2016 when HEPA /BDM came out.

no need to spend time testing recirculation btw, because it’s very simple. The only physical connection to the HEPA filter is from outside in, no matter the settings. The cabin recirc has a regular automotive type filter.

Here is another test on the effectiveness of Biohazard mode. All fresh air goes through the HEPA filter, and I believe all or most recirc air does as well. The car even improved the air quality around the car somewhat.

As was stated above, the only added feature of the Biodefense Mode Button is the increased internal pressure with the fans going full blast so no air "leaks" in from the outside. The HEPA filter is online all the time.

Looks like two filters, one possibly in the recirc path?

HVAC, CABIN FILTER1688910-00-C

HEPA FILTER ASSEMBLY1750575-00-C
I just did a retrofit of a Model Y that didn’t come with the HEPA filter, and based on the physical design, only the non-HEPA cabin filter could be in the recirculating path. The HEPA filter is right up on the front hood right below an air intake grille.

Reactions: Olle
I just did a retrofit of a Model Y that didn’t come with the HEPA filter, and based on the physical design, only the non-HEPA cabin filter could be in the recirculating path. The HEPA filter is right up on the front hood right below an air intake grille.
Yep, that is how it works. (Though I sort of think some of the in-cabin filters might have been updated to be HEPA as well, I'm just not sure.)

And "Biodefense mode" only pulls in fresh air, so that all air entering the cabin comes through the HEPA filter.