Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bizarre Noise Coming from the Wheels/Drivetrain?

akotin

Jun 7, 2016
Memphis, TN
Past few days have observed a noise coming from the back of my car that sounds kind of like a clunking noise. Metal on metal almost. Very bizarre. It is at speeds in the 25-40 mph range and is pretty erratic. Listen here. Called service and will likely have it taken in but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts?

Daniel in SD

Jan 25, 2018
San Diego
Past few days have observed a noise coming from the back of my car that sounds kind of like a clunking noise. Metal on metal almost. Very bizarre. It is at speeds in the 25-40 mph range and is pretty erratic. Listen here. Called service and will likely have it taken in but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts?
Probably not it but you should check your lug nut torque just to be sure. Could be a lose suspension bolt too. You should definitely take it in to be checked.

akotin

Jun 7, 2016
Memphis, TN
Probably not it but you should check your lug nut torque just to be sure. Could be a lose suspension bolt too. You should definitely take it in to be checked.

Gotcha. I haven’t heard it the last 2 days lol. Unless it was something in my trunk (which I’m 99% sure it wasn’t because I moved any loose items) but I doubt that.

akotin

Jun 7, 2016
Memphis, TN
This issue has been resolved. Funny enough I determined it to be my license plate holder hitting my trunk in the wind. Gotta be a new one! :)

Mods, feel free to delete this thread!

• Funny
Reactions: DR61

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC