Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Martian wheels, new droning noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
Listings
I just mounted 20x9 Martian MW05s with recommended 275/40-20 tires and there is a new droning noise I have not heard before. It sounds like a metal hum 40mph and under. It's not constant, but comes in small waves. I'm probably sensitive to noises in general, but did not hear this in swapping out wheels on two other MYs (one was TSportline and one Discount tire cheap brand).

The sound reminds me of those singing Tibetan bowls.

I initially had DWS06Plus mounted and then switched to Pilot Sports, thinking it was the tires. I can't tell any difference.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Is it possible someone bent your brake dust shield behind the rotor while mounting the wheels? (if so, its easy to just bend it back to not have contact with the rotor) (thin piece of metal, pretty sure all cars have that shield happened to me on my BMW just use your hand to bend it out of the way a bit) or possibly a rock/pebble stuck between the shield and rotor?

Is it possible someone bent your brake dust shield behind the rotor while mounting the wheels? (if so, its easy to just bend it back to not have contact with the rotor) (thin piece of metal, pretty sure all cars have that shield happened to me on my BMW just use your hand to bend it out of the way a bit) or possibly a rock/pebble stuck between the shield and rotor?
It doesn't sound like scraping, but I'll take a look. Thanks.

I checked the brake dust shields and they all seem fine.
Droning noise is usually the tires, are they new or new to the car?

My winter tires do drone at certain speed on certain surfaces whereas the summers, not a peep.
That's what I thought. I tried two different sets of tires and there was no change.

I almost think the noise may have been there before and the lighter more open wheels let more of the noise through. Though that is just a guess.

Reactions: TesraY
I would normally agree that a droning sound is almost always tire noise. The only thing that dissuades me from this is that you changed the tires, but the noise didn't change. Does the noise change when you are on different road surfaces (Smooth vs Rough)?
I can't really see the wheels making this noise or the open spoke design.

I would normally agree that a droning sound is almost always tire noise. The only thing that dissuades me from this is that you changed the tires, but the noise didn't change. Does the noise change when you are on different road surfaces (Smooth vs Rough)?
I can't really see the wheels making this noise or the open spoke design.

Attachments

• PXL_20240402_204613764.jpg
    PXL_20240402_204613764.jpg
    744.4 KB · Views: 15